Special cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norgeskog

Washing Up
There is a Norwegian cookie called krumkaga (translated crumb cookie) that is cooked on a iron similar to a waffle maker only the peices are flat with a lacy design, the batter is a little thinner than pancake batter and similar but whipping cream (un whipped) and cardamom for spice. When each cookie is cooked they are rolled and cooled. This time, I am going to use the form that makes them into a cone shape. I will add vanilla beans and pumpkin pie seasoning to stiff whipped cream and fill the cones and sprinkle with fresh grated nutmeg for dessert.

I LOVE krumkaga!! Every year for Christmas dinner my MIL brings krumkaga and lefse (both kinds). Do you know what the cone roller thingy is called? I would love to buy one and try my hand at it.

Sounds like the Norwegian version of the Italian Pizzell. Pizell? Pizzelle?

Alix said:
I LOVE krumkaga!! Every year for Christmas dinner my MIL brings krumkaga and lefse (both kinds). Do you know what the cone roller thingy is called? I would love to buy one and try my hand at it.

Alix it is called a cone roller thingy - :LOL: I have no clue. But I have seen it in cooking supply stores. I would imagine if you described it as being an instrument to make cones they would know. I see some ice cream stores make their own cones, and they use them so they should be around. I have had this thing so long I cannot even remember where I got it. Does your MIL also bring lutefisk? Does she make smør boller, sand bakkles, pepperkakker? She must be Norwegian. Say Gød Jul to her, or you probably already know that.

Yes she is Norwegian, and NO she doesn't bring lutefisk. No offence but BLECH! It tastes like soap. Must be the lye. ;) She brings all kinds of tasty goodies, but to be honest...I don't know all their names.

And to date, my only norwegian is Uff da! and God Yul. LOL!!

norgeskog said:
Alix said:

Alix it is called a cone roller thingy - :LOL: I have no clue.

If you go to http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=185779 you can see what one looks like. They sell it as an attachment to their Waffle Cone Express.

Cats

Catseye said:
norgeskog said:
Alix said:

Alix it is called a cone roller thingy - :LOL: I have no clue.

If you go to http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=185779 you can see what one looks like. They sell it as an attachment to their Waffle Cone Express.

Cats

Thanks cats, I did not think of checking there.

It's also called Krumkake, krumkaker. This year I bought the most awesome electric iron. I've been doing it on the stove for years. It's a Chefs Choice out of the Chefs catalog. I water my batter down to make them thin as possible. Yes it's a roller thingy! :D

Krumkake2-vi.jpg

momcooks said:
It's also called Krumkake, krumkaker. This year I bought the most awesome electric iron. I've been doing it on the stove for years. It's a Chefs Choice out of the Chefs catalog. I water my batter down to make them thin as possible. Yes it's a roller thingy! :D

Krumkake2-vi.jpg

Those be them, they look great. What recipe do you use. There are as many for these as for chocolate chip cookies. Smart these Norwegians.

Thanks Debi!

Now I recognize them!

Also my Norwegian Mom used to make lefse...sort of flattened, but delicious with butter and jam (or either!) Are there two kinds?

Also (Phoenetically!) ""Futty Mund", sort of a fried bread twist, as best I can recall (its been a lot of years!)

On the other hand, I am glad I will never ever be caused to eat "lutefisk" again....

Mind, my Father, who endured the Dirty Thirties as the eldest in the family, when they were on relief, compared it marginally favourably with the more or less rotting, salt dried cod shipped in from Newfoundland to the prairies...he said you would "nail it to a pine board, soak it overnight in water in the bathtub, boil it for the day, then throw the fish away and eat the board"...

Not sure if I put the recipe in with the box when I put it away or not. I use almond extract, less sugar and way more water than the original recipe calls for. I also do sandbakkels, although I don't hollow them out like I shoud. And rosettes, I've been collecting irons for years. I imagine everyone makes lefse a little different. But we use a grooved rolling pin and roll it as flat as possible and fry on a round grill. Kind of a thin potato tortilla. Cold with butter and sugar is the way I like them. Swedish meatballs is about the only other Scandinavian food I cook. I'm not Norwegian, but I was raised in North Dakota, and have many relatives that are. I enjoy doing them as people really like something different.
rosettes3-vi.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom