"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 07-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #31
Chief Eating Officer

You can believe what you want, but I am telling you as a Jew myself, please do not make that false comment about Jews.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:30 PM   #32
Head Chef

I have learned to use half lard and half butter in my pie crusts..flaky and flavorful. Lard can usually be found either in the meat department or in the international foods aisle. If all else fails you can get it from a grocery that caters to Hispanic populations. As Emeril says"pork fat rules!"

Old 06-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee09 View Post
Jim in Phoenix: my mom was raised in an ol Catholic Italian family & has been desperatley searching for a recipie that her grandmother used to make. The only description she has is that it took quiet a while to make, had a fruit filling & she believes that cream cheese was in the batter. Any ideas?

I would love to get some of your mothers recipes if you are one to share. Thanks for a newbie to the forums
Did you ever get a reply to this message? I know that a lot of Italian Wedding cookies tend to be similar to Butterballs or Mexican Wedding Cookies. There is also another one - I wish I could post the photo - it looks like layers with jelly inside and the layers are different colors - with chocolate on top. None of these have cream cheese that I know of....
The layered cookies are:
Ingredients

• 8 ounces almond paste
  • 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 5 drops green food coloring
  • 5 drops yellow food coloring
  • 5 drops red food coloring
  • 1 (12 ounce) jar seedless raspberry jam, heated
  • 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips, melted

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Break almond paste into a large bowl, and beat in butter, sugar, eggs, and almond extract until light and fluffy. Beat in the flour and salt. Split batter into three equal portions, mixing one portion with green food coloring, one with yellow, and one with red. Spread each portion out to 1/4 inch thickness into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch baking pan.
  3. Bake each layer for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned. Allow to cool.
  4. On a cookie sheet or cutting board, stack the cakes, spreading tops of the first two layers with raspberry jam. Spread melted chocolate over top of the third layer. Chill in the refrigerator 1 hour, or until jam and chocolate are firm. Slice into small rectangles to serve.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #34
Master Chef

sadly GB, sadly.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB

Your statement, while well meaning, is very misleading. I am Jewish and would happily eat something with lard. 99% of the Jews I know (in the hundreds of people) would have no problem with it either. Just because someone is Jewish does not automatically mean they keep kosher. I am assuming the same sort of thing is true for Muslims.
I am muslim and There are two kinds. Sinas who are allowed to eat meat not killed in the proper way and just pray to make it halal(Muslim kosher) and shias who are only allowed to eat properly killed meat. But not one Muslim eats pork. But yes we use vegetable shortening in are sweets so much. But not in are traditional home country recipes.

Tags
None