Sugar Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
I'm presently making some sugar cookies, which I never made before. I used to ake oatmeal cookies with no problem at all.

But the dough for the sugar cookies ended up being too soft, even though I followed the recipe to the letter. It has me wetting my hands to roll the dogh into balls first, then place the balls on the baking pan.

But that really became a pain to do, much less too messy, so I ended up placing them on the pan drop-style from a spoon. The first batch ended up with cookies way too big, and has I made more, I decreased the amount of dough for each one. They now seem to be beter in size and shape, I guess through trial and error.

The question that I have is is cookie dough always this soft, even though the recipe says to roll it into balls first? Just wondering

And BTW, it was much easier and cleaner placing the cookie dough on the pan drop-style.

It helps with doughs that have alot of butter to keep it cold.... then they don;t spread out so bad in the oven, and are easier to handle.
Make sure the cookie sheet is cold each time also.

It helps with doughs that have alot of butter to keep it cold.... then they don;t spread out so bad in the oven, and are easier to handle.
Make sure the cookie sheet is cold each time also.

The recipe calls for softened buter, but now that you've mentioned cold butter, I think that's what I'll do next time and refrigerate the dough overnight.

That should make the dough much easier to handle and work with. And I think I WILL start with cold butter next time. The dough can then be sliced to get perfectly round cookies!

Last edited:
The recipe calls for softened butter, but now that you've mentioned cold butter, I think that's what I'll do next time and refrigerate the dough overnight.

The should make the dough much easier to handle and work with. And I think I WILL start with cold butter next time.

No to cold butter. In order to cream the ingredients you will just end up softening it anyway.

I always refrigerate the dough for an hour or two (or overnight if you want). The very well creamed butter mixture will stiffen up and allow easy handling.

This is a must if you are going to roll the dough out and use cookie cutters

mozart isright. you need softened butter to make the dough and chilled dough to make the cookies.

sugarless sugar cookies

have been looking for sugarless cookies. found a good rec. at spendia. also a sugarless glase.

baked some yesterday, a little doughy , think i will roll them thinner. used green food coloring for the glase.the cookies were in shape of christmas tree.

have recp if anyone is interested.

babetoo

Splenda is good, but it's also ridiculously expensive. A 3-lb bag of it costs about $7.00!

There IS however, a cheaper brand - Domino Delite, which costs about $4.75 or so for the same size bag.

Be careful though. If you use too much of this stuff, your food will taste like medicine!! The ingredients used to make this sugar substitute, to me, still presents a taste quite similar to saccerine.

splenda $$

Splenda is good, but it's also ridiculously expensive. A 3-lb bag of it costs about $7.00!

There IS however, a cheaper brand - Domino Delite, which costs about $4.75 or so for the same size bag.

Be careful though. If you use too much of this stuff, your food will taste like medicine!! The ingredients used to make this sugar substitute, to me, still presents a taste quite similar to saccerine.

if u are a diabetic as i am, you will spring for the splenda. tastes like sugar to me.

i make the regular sugar cookie for everyone else.

i just prefer splenda over any others.

babetoo

I AM a diabetic, but my pancreas doesn't produce enough insulin. Therefore, I have to have something with sugar once in a while or now and then, to keep from getting sick..

But I DO have some Domino Delite, and have never cooked or baked with it. There IS however, a recipe for a low-cal lemon cake on the back of the bag.

Last edited:
convert recipes for sugarless

i have developed many recipes for sugarless dishs. mostly desserts. ie an oreo cheese cake, using the sugarless oreos.

can't eat to many with the sweetner they use in cookies. you will be visiting the bathroom more than you like.

babetoo

I just watched Good Eats last night, and Alton Brown was making sugar cookies.

And yes, he DID put the dough in the fridge to set it up and make it semi-hard. He said that it not only makes the dough easier to work with, but if you roll it in plastic wrap beforehand, you can slice the dough to get perfectly-shaped same-size cookies.

I can't recommend chilling sugar cookie dough enough. When I'm cutting shapes I'll chill it overnight and then roll it between sheets of parchment paper before cutting. When I'm just making round cookies, I've found that my best friend for any round cookie is a small ice cream scoop. Just scoop, click the handle and a perfectly sized and shaped ball plops onto the pan.

I never thought about that. I DO have a small ice cream scoop that might work the next time I make them.

And yes, how sad it was for me to have not thought about chilling the dough first! I ended up with giant out-of-shape cookies instead.

I cannot stand the taste of splenda personally, but it is a good substitute for some people.

Which is why I won't bake with it. I'm too afraid that anything baked with it might taste like medicine! And I take more than enough medicine as it is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom