"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2018, 12:29 AM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Andy, I don't know about any changes - all I know is that I've used this recipe for so long and have the same one in my hard copy recipe binder. It's my go-to. What recipe do you use?

Quaker Oats has the same recipe on their webpage.
Hi Cheryl, the recipe I copied was from 2003 and there are slight differences in the amounts of butter and the two sugars. The recipe I use calls for a full cup of butter, Ĺ cup of sugar and 1 cup of brown sugar.

I noticed this change a couple of years ago when I happened to be opening a new carton of oatmeal and decided to check out the recipe to see if there were changes.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:48 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Officially Cookie Obsessed!

Itís official. Iím mad about cookies! My oatmeal cookies were super (if I do say so myself). Then I came across a recipe for cookies made from boxed cake mix! I happened to have a box of yellow cake mix in my cupboard, so I made oatmeal raisin cookies with it:
1 box cake mix
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsps molasses (not in the recipe, but I like the flavor and how it makes the cookies softer)
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups raisins, plumped in hot water (okay, sweet vermouth, honey and hot water! ĎĎTis the season, after all!)
A few grains of coarse sea salt on each cookie

Each cookie 1 heaping tablespoon, baked at 375įF for 10 to 12 minutes.

I have to admit that the oatmeal flavor was lost pretty much, though the oats did add a nice texture.

Tonight, Iím ditching the oats altogether and making cookies with boxed devilís food cake mix, and stuffing each cookie with a Rolo candy! And maybe, again for the texture (and the fiber), I may add the little bit of oats I have left.

And the challenge after that? Florentines! You know, those lacy thin, crisp cookies dipped in or drizzled with chocolate. I may have a hard time eating them, but Iím willing to make the effort! Oh, and I must try those cut out cookies from Katy H, here on DC!

It wonít be long before Iím a Sessame Street character. Cookies, cookies, cookies!!!

Old 12-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Update: Devilís Food cake mix cookies

Mixed results on the devilís food cake mix cookies.

I made one batch of dough/batter. I say ďbatterĒ because it was very very moist, almost (but not quite) pourable:
1 box cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
I added, as is my wont, 2 tbsp molasses. This may have been a mistake.

I separated the batch in half. I pressed Rolo candies into each cookie (a heaping tbsp). I anticipated that it would be a royal mess, so I froze the candy first. I chilled the dough as well, because it was so moist! Pretty good actually, but several of the cookies lost the candy center. Not enough dough surrounding the candy, maybe?

I added plumped raisins and rolled oats to the second half. The oats added a nice texture, although the dough was still very wet. The raisins werenít unpleasant, just a little odd.

Both batches exhibited a slightly bitter taste (thatís not a good thing), and the oven spread was considerable. The cookies from both batches were very very soft (thatís not a bad thing!).

Neither batch was as sweet as I expected.

Could the molasses have something to do with the slight bitterness? In my next trial, should I add a quarter cup or so of light brown sugar to make it sweeter, and leave out the molasses?

Most of these soft cookie recipes say to bake until the edges brown a bit and the centers are just starting to brown. But how do you tell, if youíre using a chocolate cake mix???

Comments are more than welcome! Please!

Tags
cook, cookie, cookies, oatmeal