The cookie dilemma, hard or soft?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
I like to make cookies that are soft and chewy rather than ones that crack my teeth, as the norm. I made several kinds of cookies for people that help me at work and they were for the most part, hard and crisp. If I wanted to insure a soft chewy cookie, even after it's traveled across hundreds of miles, how could I (if it's even possible) insure that it works?

My mother in law leaves her choco chip cookies out on the counter over night uncovered cause she likes 'em crisp.:ermm: One man I work sort of with, loves chewy choco chippers. :wacko: How can I accomplish that? Or, how is it that the manufacturers of such types get them that way?

Alton Brown, on his Good Eats show, did 3 different versions of chocolate chip cookies. Chewy was one of the options. I'm sure the recipe is still on the site.

As Andy pointed out, Alton Brown just covered this on Good Eats (Food Network channel) in the episode, "Three Chips for Sister Marsha". By altering the fats, flour, sugars, eggs and milk, etc. you can take a basic recipe and get thin and crisp, puffy and cake-like, or chewy.

If you have a copy of Shirley O. Corriher's book CookWise, or can find it at your library, read the section on cookies in chapter 2, pages 128-133. She discusses that each ingredient does and what and how to make adjustments to change the spread, texture, color, etc. Shee, too, uses the chocolate chip cookie to demonstrate how alterations to a single basic recipe changes the outcome by a side-by-side comparison of the three recipes.

Here is a link to Alton's recipes.

thanks for the help folks. I am going to do an eBay search for Ms. O'Corriher's book.

You won't believe this but I have all the ingredients for the 'chewy' version of Mr. A Brown's recipe. I read the comments/reviews listed and most are positive. I also realized, with some people, ya just can't make 'em happy no mattah whut. I'll make these while my hair is drying. It'll give me something to do that 'isn't' on my to do list.

Thanks againk, I'll report back after trying one.

Susie

I love a big, soft chocolate cookie! heaven!

However, i also love a hard ginger/molasses cookie to dunk in my coffee :)

Here's a soft, chewy sugar cookie you may also enjoy!

Soft and Puffy Sugar Cookies
By: Aunt Velma

1 cup Shortening (Butter Flavor Crisco) 1 cup Sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
8 teaspoon milk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 cups plus flour

Cream together shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs. Add vanilla and almond extracts. Mix in dry ingredients. Roll out to 1/2" thickness on a flowered board. Cut in large circles, sprinkle with sugar and bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet in preheated 325 degree oven till just barely golden.

Constance, you're killing me here.:LOL:
I have copied and will make this recipe.
Sounds scrumpdidili-icous. Gosh, the hubby's work will really love me.

Baking right now, the chewy choco chippers. The dough was VERY loose. We'll see. Fingers crossed.:wacko:

Lefselover, I think (and I could be totally out to lunch here) that if you use shortening instead of butter you get a chewier cookie. Butter tends to make your cookies spread out more and shortening retains the shape. Something to do with lower heat tolerance? Can't recall. ANYWAY...try subbing out about 1/2 of the butter with shortening in your favourite recipes and see if that works for you.

thanks for the idea Alix because...............I think you may be right and you hit the nail exactly on the head...................
they spread waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much and yes, I put in frig and chilled prior to baking..................my report will stand alone on this 'chewy' (or not so) recipe

Back
Top Bottom