"the low down on Chewy"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
well folks, I have to say, that I am more than a bit disappointed in the A Brown Chewy version of the choco chip cookie. I followed it to the letter and was spot on with my measurements. I posted earlier that I'd read the reviews on his chewy cookies and although most were favorable, I must say, that I agree with the not so favorable comments.

The cookies aren't the best flavor of chocolate chip cookies I've made, not by a long shot. I do better when I wing it and don't use a recipe regarding flavor cause I go hog wild with the ingredients sans the hog of course.
They are not chewy, but more cake-like out of the oven and now, since they sat a bit, are way too crispy.
They spread just like Alix was thinking they would, they really did turn to flat pancakes.
Long story short, these will end up in my husbands meeting tomorrow at work. They were originally going there anyway so nothing's new there. I hope they're enjoyed if even just a bit. I hate having used 2 cubes of butter, an ingredient I dearly adore having on hand as to me/us, it's a treat. But, I'd have never known had I not tried them and have no ill feelings for having done so. But, that recipe won't be repeated by me.:wacko: Just my NSHO is all.
Happy weekend to you all........

Susie

I personally am not a fan of A. Brown or his recipes; I have heard so many things from so many people who say they don't work.

I looked at the recipe, and cannot figure out why in the world he would use bread flour; IMHO, it's just too heavy a flour to use for cookies.

marmalady said:
I personally am not a fan of A. Brown or his recipes; I have heard so many things from so many people who say they don't work.

I looked at the recipe, and cannot figure out why in the world he would use bread flour; IMHO, it's just too heavy a flour to use for cookies.
Not being a person who understands the ins and outs of baking very much, I just followed the recipe not knowing what bread flour is or cake flour or all purpose flour and how any of them differs. I know there must be a reason he put that in the ingred list.

Alix said:
Lefselover, try this recipe. I know you are looking for chewy cookies and these are a fan favorite in my house. I will find my other recipe for you too.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4962&highlight=Neiman+Marcus+cookies
thanks Alix, I have made these, gosh, years and years ago as I got caught up in the fun-ness of the story and how the recipe supposedly came to be. They were quite good as I recall. Awaiting the other recipe, I'm a patient woman:angel: :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom