Thumbprint Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spryte

Senior Cook
Thumbprint Cookies

1 C margarine (do not substitute butter)
1/2 C brown sugar
2 eggs (separated)
2 C flour
1 1/2 C chopped nuts
your favorite jam (I like raspberry)

Cream together margarine and sugar, add egg yolks and flour. Chill dough 1 hour or over night. Roll dough into small balls, dip into lightly beaten egg whites, roll in nuts. When on cookie sheet, press a hole in the center of each ball prior to baking. Bake at 325 degrees for 8 minutes, re-press holes and continue baking another 8 minutes until golden. Remove from oven. While cookies are still on cookie sheets, fill center with your favorite jam and remove cookies to cool on a wire rack.

my aunt uses raspberry and strawberry jam.. and you're recipe is similiar to hers. she makes them as one of her zillion cookie varieties for Christmas...they are one of my favs!

They're always in my holiday line up too. I always use raspberry, but my mom uses all kinds (colors). It looks like a tray of jewels when she's done!

I LOVE THIS NOSTALGIC COOKIES, they go back forever. Now you can even make them with a box of yellow cake mix, but I like them like your recipe Spryte. I don't use any nuts, and I've made them with grape jam too.

mine are already on file, don't need em on my cookies, lol.

these sound like a mini linzer tart. one of my fav cookies.

Hey spryte I'm so happy you posted this recipe.. I love thumbprint cookies but I have never done them right :( Please help..
I chill the dough very well.. when I try to form it into balls.. its still very sticky & I end up using an ice cream scoop.. second problem when it hits the oven it spreads so muchhhhhh and the hole I made disappears , it becomes flat, I try to make another hole after 8 minutes, it's so soft won't hold the hole shape at all... it ends up pretty bad.. :D Any help?
Thanks , I will try your recipe though..

Hmmmm.... Be sure to refrigerate at least an hour. I usually refrigerate overnight. This dough doesn't get very sticky. But if you have problems with sticky dough, you could put some cooking spray on your hands. They are slimy after being dipped in the egg white, but then rolling them in the chopped nuts makes them less slippery. I think my original hole does almost disappear, but that's ok. When you re-press the hole, it should mostly stay. (if you have really round measuring spoons, or a small melon baller, you can use that to press again so you don't burn your fingers.) The only time I've ever had trouble with this recipe, was when I tried using butter instead of margarine. The dough was too firm to work with after refrigerating. I hope that helps!!!!! Good luck! =)

Back
Top Bottom