Sorry to be so tardy getting this posted, but here's the cookie recipe I promised.
SWEDISH THUMBPRINT COOKIES
makes about 4 dozen (or less, depending on size)
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1/2 cup cane sugar
1 extra large egg yolk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon light cream
2 1/4 cups unbleached flour
pinch of Rumford's baking powder
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 extra large egg white
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Have butter and eggs at room temperature.
3. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk, vanilla and cream. Stir in flour and baking powder.
4. Place unbeaten egg white in a saucer. Roll small pieces of dough into small balls about the size of a nickel. Dip into egg white and then in the chopped nuts. Place on foil-lined cookie sheet, about 1 1/2 inches apart. Make an indentation in the center of each ball with your thumb.
5. Bake for 5 minutes in 325 degrees F. oven. Check and re-dent if necessary. Add a small amount of preserves in the flavor of your choice (or a Hershey's kiss) in the thumbprint. Continue baking for 15 minutes longer.
6. Cool on cooling racks, and try to stay out of them!