TNT Chocolate Chocolate Chip cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unmuzzleme

Senior Cook
These cookies can be baked more or less according to taste. My sister bakes them a very short time so that they JUST hold together. She likes them super gooey. They're quite decadent, and I like mine a bit more done than she does.

I think you could use a stand mixer for these, but I never do. I just beat with a wooden spoon by hand.

Enjoy!

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

2/3 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
1 TBSP water
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Beat shortening, brown sugar, water, and vanilla extract until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, until mixture is homogenous.
In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet, mixing until just combined. (Do not overmix!) Stir in the chocolate chips (just a few stirs will do it)
The consistency may seem a little more wet than most cookie batters. DO NOT add more flour!

Drop onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. For consistent drops, you could use a small ice cream scooper. I just use a spoon and eyeball it. I'd say they should be about 2 TBSP each.

Bake 7-9 minutes or until the cookies are set (they will appear to "dry" on top).

Yields about 3 dozen cookies.

Eat them WARM...with a cold glass of milk, a cup of coffee, or a bowl of vanilla ice cream.

Hi unmuzzleme, thanks for this recipe. Do you think I can replace the shortening with butter? I try to avoid using shortening when possible... Thanks!:chef:

Hmm, I think so. Not sure if the amount would be the same. I've never tried it. Maybe someone else has experience with substitution of butter for shortening that they'd like to share?

Ok, Chopstix,

Here's a link to a thread that will help.
Click Here

Basically, you can sub butter for shortening, but expect a taste difference. You may also have to fiddle around with the proportions, though one-to-one may work (butter is 80% fat versus 100% fat for shortening).

I've never tried butter for these cookies. So if you try it, let us know how it turns out! (I can't imagine it being bad...butter is SO yummy!)

Thanks a lot unmuzz! I have a CCC recipe that I normally use but I'm always on the lookout for a better one. I should think butter subsitution will improve the taste although there might be a slight degradation in texture by taking out the shortening. Tell you when I actually try this out!

Hey Unmuzz! I made this last night! I used butter instead of shortening and bread flour instead of AP flour. I also cut down the sugar to 1 and 1/4 cups.

The cookies were a success, if a bit gooey and fudgy on the inside. I just baked a few to test. The rest of the dough are in logs in the freezer. Since I started with chilled dough and chilled baking sheet, I think next time I'll bake them longer than what your recipe calls for, to obtain a crunchier crust. Thanks again! I love these cookies and will make them again and again!

Chopstix,

WONDERFUL! Maybe next time I'll try it with butter using your adjustments. I always feel a little bit guilty using shortening...but that's what my mom used, and her mom before her, so I hate to mess with the traditional recipes too much.

So glad you enjoyed the cookies. They are definitely divine!

Have a lovely day!

Back
Top Bottom