TNT - Kourabiedes (Greek Shortbread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haggis

Sous Chef
Delicious greek shortbread. Try eating these and not end up looking like a coke-head, its no mean feat thats for sure.

Kourabiedes
-----------
250g soft unsalted butter
2/3 cup icing sugar, sifted, plus extra
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
90g walnuts, finely chopped
2 tbsp orange flour water

Using an electic mixer, beat butter until pale and creamy, then add icing sugar, vanilla and egg yolk and beat until well combined. Fold in combined sifted flour and baking powder, then add chopped walnuts and stir to combine.

Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls, then roll into 5cm lengths and form into crescents. Place crescents on baking paper line oven trays and bake at 160'C for 15-20 minutes or until just starting to colour.

Transfer shortbreads to wire racks and while still warm, sprinkle with orange flour water and dust with icing sugar, then leave to cool. When completely cool, dust generously with icing sugar. Will keep for up to 1 week in a airtight container.

Makes about 26.

Haggis:

Variations of this recipe are made all over the Middle East. They were a major treat when I was a kid. Mom didn't make them but a friend of her's did. We didn't see them often enough.

I bought some Armenian cookbooks and now make my own. Yummmm!

My home in Sydney (I live in college while I'm at university) is in a predominantly greek-italian area, one of the nearby surburbs used to be called the 'Macropolis' (the suburbs actual name is Marrickville) and even though it is now largely a Vietnamese area there are still some great greek bakeries around so I still get the opportunity to sample many a greek/lebanese/turkish biscuit or pastry.

And as Andy M. said there are many variations on the same these, in particular a turkish/lebanese variety which is made with rose water, or one which contains the tartness of pomegranate molasses/syrup.

Don't you love living in multicultural areas?

Back
Top Bottom