"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 12-23-2006, 01:44 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Too much shortening?

I pulled out my handy dandy Better Homes and Gardens cookbook this evening to make some basic chocolate chip cookies and they were horrible!! The dough smelled and tasted like the shortening. I used the correct amount and did everything the way I was supposed, even slowly pouring in the flour, not putting it all in at once. Could someone help me out??

Old 12-23-2006, 04:46 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Was your shortening fresh? It can go very rancid.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:21 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I agree with Cando. Shortnening can go rancid--developing a strong, bitter flavor if it is not fresh. It can also be the wrong kind of shortening for a particular task. For example, olive oil would be the wrong kind of shortening for your cookies because the taste of olive oil is wrong for cookies.

Does this help?
Old 12-23-2006, 10:41 AM   #4
Sous Chef

It does help...I think the shortening was bad, the last time I used it was about a year or so ago. I am pretty sure I used the right type of shortening that the recipe called because that's what I have used before and they came out ok. Could I subsitute butter for the shortening? Or will the cookies come out flat and crispy? Thank you both for your help...being new to the cooking world I thought I was doomed if I couldn't make something as basic as chocolate cookies!
Old 12-23-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
Master Chef

I usually use real butter in my cookies. They always come out okay. I hardly ever use crisco type shortening in my cookies.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Cuillo
It does help...I think the shortening was bad, the last time I used it was about a year or so ago. I am pretty sure I used the right type of shortening that the recipe called because that's what I have used before and they came out ok. Could I subsitute butter for the shortening? Or will the cookies come out flat and crispy? Thank you both for your help...being new to the cooking world I thought I was doomed if I couldn't make something as basic as chocolate cookies!
That's your culprit. Smell "stuff" before you use it! You can use butter or margarine for your shortening--or just get some fresh. Put in the fridge after opening.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:25 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I think I will just stick with butter if they will turn out ok. Thank you all again for your help!! Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-23-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur
I usually use real butter in my cookies. They always come out okay. I hardly ever use crisco type shortening in my cookies.
Same here. I think cookies made with butter taste so much better anyway.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:52 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I tried it with butter and they came out MUCH better. I think I will stick with the butter all the time. They taste sweeter. Another question, what if a recipe calls for both? Will that ever happen? Can I use only butter or should I use the shortening as well as butter?
Old 12-28-2006, 05:02 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
You can stick with butter, for sure. I know some recipe's do call for both, and I have never been unsatisfied just stucking to butter.

You can also try playing with different types of butter, that's always a fun twist: Danish butter, Sweet Cream butter, Whipped butter.. all different textures and tastes, you may find one you like more! :)

Tags
None