Tuile Pirouettes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

college_cook

Head Chef
Has anyone here ever made tuile cookies? I'm rolling them into pirouettes to fill with a pastry cream mixture with a simple berry sauce.

I'm using the following recipe:

8 oz soft unsalted butter
8oz sifted powdered sugar
1 cup egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla
8 oz sifted cake flour

Cream the sugar and butter. Add egg whites a few at a time. Add vanilla. Add flour and mix just until incorporated.

The pirouettes are turning out almost exactly as they are supposed to, but when I put them in the oven, they run just slightly, which is expected, but this is causing the very edges of the batter to brown much more quickly than the rest of the batter, and it makes for an unsightly presentation when I have burned edges.

So I'm wondering what I can do to ensure a more even doneness. I've thought of trimming the burnt edges, but because they set up so rapidly I'd have to actually trim them while still in the oven, but I'm not so nuts about burning off all my hair and dulling one of my knives on the sheet pan.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas.

Thanks!

tuiles are super easy if you have a template( or even NO template). The equality of the thickness is what ensures equal cooking, and after that, you have about three min to decide what it is you want to do.

As far as the runniness, I would blame it solely on the egg whites, as that is the only thing that can be blamed...I would trim, versus battling out the exact amount of whites...

SO long as they are maluable, and crisp when dried, the result is accomplished.

This is the only recipe I've ever used for tuiles and it's worked every time - completely different than yours tho.

½ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground ginger
¼ cup butter
1/3 cup superfine sugar
1/3 cup golden syrup (corn syrup)
2 tsp brandy (whatever brand is good for you)

Heat oven to 350F. Sift the flour and ground ginger. Heat the butter, sugar and corn syrup in a small saucepan. Add the flour to the butter mix and combine well. Add the brandy and incorporate.
On a parchment lined sheet, spoon 1 Tbsp. sized portions of the batter, making sure they are at least 2" apart. Bake for at least 5-10 minutes, looking for the wafers to spread and turn brown. Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 seconds. Use a spatula to remove from sheet and place over lightly oiled flute pans, or anything that will allow for a cup shaped finished product. press down to create shape and let cool for 10 seconds. Remove and repeat until batter is used up (do 4 or 6 at a time)

:) Get an oven thermometer your oven might be running a bit hot or turn temp down about 25 degrees next try double panning .Also which level of oven rack are you using ?

My oven temp is normal, and I'm using the middle rack. There are two things that I think might have caused the problem. I didn't have a proper form and so wasn't able to spread the batter as thin as I think it was supposed to be. The other is that I don't have the same type of sheet pan that is called for, I only have non-stick pans here. The recipe used plain steel sheet pans like you would find in a restaurant kitchen, and he emphasized that they should be as flat as if they were new. My pans definitely have a bit of bow to them. I think between being non-stick and the bow it might deflect the heat ever so slightly away from the middle of the batter.

Back
Top Bottom