Using cookie cutters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shaheen

Senior Cook
I always made the kind of cookies that just need to be dropped on to the bakng sheet. I recently saw cookie cutters in cute shapes and picked them up. I was wondering if they can be used only for certain types of cookies (the ones that don't spread too much). How do I know by looking at the recipe that it will turn out well if i use a cookie cutter? Or Is it meant for the shortbread kind of stuff where the dough is well packed together?

If a cookie is meant to rise (as in the case of chocolate chip cookies and so forth) then it wont work for cookie cutters. Most drop cookie batter wont do well with cookie cutters.

The type that work best are sugar cookie types. (the kind that you roll out and shape)

Here is a recipe for your basic sugar cookie. It's quite versitile and can be eaten plain or you can get "fancy" and put decorative icing on them:

Sugar Cookies
Ingredients:

1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch salt
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
granulated sugar, colored if desired

Method
Beat butter and shortening thoroughly with an electric mixer or pastry cutter.
Add sugar, baking powder and a pinch of salt and mix until well combined.
Beat in egg and vanilla then as much flour as you can with the electric mixer.
Stir in the remaining flour.
Cover and chill for at least 1 hour;
Split the dough in 1/2 and roll one half at a time. Cut out with cookie cutters or cut with sharp knife into desired shape.
Keep the piece you aren't using in the fridge.
Bake on ungreased cookie sheets for about 7 to 8 minutes, until edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned (don't over cook).
Everything in my house is cooked at 325 degrees F and these are no exception :rolleyes:
Makes 36 small cookies or 20 bigger ones.

- - -

Here is a recipe for basic sugar cookie icing:

Sugar Cookie Icing:
Ingredients:

1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
3 drops food coloring

Method
In a small bowl, stir together the confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Add the corn syrup and almond extract; mix well. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
Divide into separate bowls, and add food colorings until it's to your liking. Dip cookies or paint them with a small cooking brush.

***note*** while the icing is still wet on the cookies, you can add on little non-perils or other decorative sprinkles. After you are done decorating, allow the icing to dry onto the cookies before packaging them up into airtight containers.

Last edited:
Shaheen, be careful, you may end up liking cutters so much that you too many! :LOL: I have over 30 different shapes and always have to make a double batch of cookie dough if I want more than one of any shape.

Back
Top Bottom