"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 03-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Using my Mom's Cookie Jar

I ran across my Mom's cookie jar the other day. She's not with us anymore and I'm wondering if I can or should use it and if so for what. Presumably it would be to keep cookies, but it's an old ceramic jar, not a glass jar with a hard seal and certainly not a vacuum sealing jar.

So I'm betting my homemade cookies (don't have a recipe yet) wouldn't keep too long in such a jar? Or could I package them somehow in bunches and put the bunches in the jar? I tried looking this question up but all I got were eBay ads for old cookie jars or a business by the same name.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0974.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	24405  

Old 03-08-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
You didn't realize it but you answered your own question in your description.

If the cookie jar was "used" by your mother, then cookies should be just fine. Besides, if the cookies are tasty enough, they won't last long enough to discover if the jar is suitable to keep cookies.

It's a delightful jar and I hope you enjoy dipping your hand in it to steal a cookie or two.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:56 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Using my Mom's Cookie Jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
You didn't realize it but you answered your own question in your description.

If the cookie jar was "used" by your mother, then cookies should be just fine. Besides, if the cookies are tasty enough, they won't last long enough to discover if the jar is suitable to keep cookies.

It's a delightful jar and I hope you enjoy dipping your hand in it to steal a cookie or two.
Ha, yes and no. My mom wasn't an avid cook, she typically put store bought cookies in there and I did tend to eat them too fast. Now I'm older and I try to eat more sensibly so I may need them to last longer than they perhaps used to. Plus my understanding is that if I bake some cookies, even if I bake crisp ones, they tend to last a shorter time than store bought ones with preservatives. So I'm trying to work out a way to keep them fresh for maybe a week or two if that's possible. And if I could work my Mom's cookie jar into that strategy, that would be nice.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGriffin View Post
Ha, yes and no. My mom wasn't an avid cook, she typically put store bought cookies in there and I did tend to eat them too fast. Now I'm older and I try to eat more sensibly so I may need them to last longer than they perhaps used to. Plus my understanding is that if I bake some cookies, even if I bake crisp ones, they tend to last a shorter time than store bought ones with preservatives. So I'm trying to work out a way to keep them fresh for maybe a week or two if that's possible. And if I could work my Mom's cookie jar into that strategy, that would be nice.

In that case, if you are thinking about keeping cookies for a week or two, the jar should be fine. My only caution is that you pay attention to the environment. I see you live in Georgia and it can get quite warm there and, in view of that, I hope you home is air-conditioned. If it's not, then I would use the jar as a decorative item because heat and humidity are enemies of freshness. Enjoy your jar...with or without cookies.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:20 PM   #5
Master Chef

Hi Dave, and welcome!

That's a really cute cookie jar and it's awesome that you want to keep it out and use it in your mother's memory. I'm pretty sure she would love that. I have a 60 year old "bear" cookie jar that was my mother's and like yours, it has no seal. I keep cookies in a ziplock bag inside the cookie jar.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:25 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Thanks, the ziplock bag is an interesting idea. I'm thinking maybe a Gingerbread cookie. I love gingerbread and my understanding is that they keep for quite a while relative to some other cookies. I sometimes get myself into trouble in recipes trying to healthy them up some. I use Whey Low sugar (I'm a type 2 diabetic) and Morton Light Salt (less sodium) and I tend to try lighter material in things like scones. I haven't baked any cookies yet.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:10 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Um, what does the cover look like on the underside? Because you might be able to buy a rubber seal from the hardware store to go around the inside of it to make a cover that seals.

If you can't get a seal for the cover, you might want to try putting a slice of bread on top of the cookies to keep them soft. I have no idea if that would work, but it might be worth a try. My mom used to do that and to my knowledge, we never ate a hard cookie. Of course, we ate all the cookies as fast as we could.

I had a cookie jar for the longest time and never put cookies in it. Instead, I used it for seed envelopes I'd get throughout the year. It was a great storage place for seeds, dry and dark and if the open envelopes spilled, they at least didn't spill in a drawer. Plus, I always knew where the seeds were. I don't know, it just seemed to work.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:13 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Um, what does the cover look like on the underside? Because you might be able to buy a rubber seal from the hardware store to go around the inside of it to make a cover that seals.
It looks like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0975.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	24406  
Old 03-08-2016, 09:32 PM   #9
Sous Chef

OK, it may be possible to get a rubber seal to fit the flange on cover then (I don't know what else to call it). I have some canisters that have clear rubber seals around all of them. The original complaint about them was the cover popped up because of the seal, but I haven't had any problem with that. But that's how my canisters seal and it must work, because my brown sugar stays soft.

You may have to take the cookie jar and lid with you if shopping for a seal, though.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:43 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
OK, it may be possible to get a rubber seal to fit the flange on cover then (I don't know what else to call it). I have some canisters that have clear rubber seals around all of them. The original complaint about them was the cover popped up because of the seal, but I haven't had any problem with that. But that's how my canisters seal and it must work, because my brown sugar stays soft.

You may have to take the cookie jar and lid with you if shopping for a seal, though.
Are we talking like Ace Hardware or somewhere like Lowes? Or some specialty seal company?

Tags
cook, cookie, other