Virtual Holiday Cookie Swap!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mystery solved :) thanks everyone!

mexican wedding cookies, also called russian tea cakes as someone mentioned.

i would post a photo, but i don't know how. here's a link to a photo. They are the second photo down, the puffy cookies.

FRUIT CAKE COOKIES.....

1 CUP SUGAR
3 EGGS
3/4 CUP BUTTER
2 CUPS UNSIFTED FLOUR
1 TB. OF CINNAMON
1 t. NUTMEG
1 t. ALLSPICE
1 t. SODA
1 t. BAKING POWDER
1 LB. CHOPPED PECANS
1 OR 2 JIGGERS BOURBON
4 SLICES CANDIED PINEAPPLE
12 OZ. CANDIED CHERRIES
1 CUP RAISINS (OPTIONAL)

CREAM SUGAR AND BUTTER. ADD EGGS ONE AT A TIME. BLEND WELL. SIFT ALL DRY INGREDIENTS TOGETHER AND ADD SLOWLY TO BUTTER, SUGAR AND EGGS MIXTURE. DICE PECANS, PINEAPPLE AND CHERRIES AND ADD THE BOURBON. HAND MIX THE FRUIT TO THE BATTER. PLACE BY TEASPOONFUL ON A COOKIE SHEET AND BAKE AT 300 DEGREES UNTIL EDGES LOOK SLIGHTLY BROWN. (ABOUT 10-12 MINUTES) Yield: 4-5 dozen.

Does it have to be just cookies? We have our annual christmas candy day and we do several that we have to have each year that my mom used to make us.

These are really the only cookies that I like.

Last edited:
Christmas Biscotti

I'm not much of a baker, but I make these (almost) every year:

Christmas Biscotti

1/2 cup butter
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 egg yolk (egg white used below)
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. anise or almond extract
1 tbsp. finely shredded orange peel
1/2 cup chopped candied red cherries
1/2 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
1 egg white
1 tsp. water
1 tbsp. sugar

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds or till softened. Add 1 cup flour, then add the 1 cup sugar, whole eggs, egg yolk, baking powder, and extract. Beat till thoroughly combined, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Beat or stir in the remaining flour and orange peel. Stir in candied fruits. Divide dough in half.

Shape each portion into an 11x2x1-inch loaf. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Combine egg white and water. Brush mixture over loaves. Sprinkle with the 1 tbsp. sugar. Bake in a 375-degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or till lightly browned. Cool loaves on cookie sheet for 1 hour.

Cut each loaf diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices. Lay slices, cut side down, on the ungreased cooked sheet. Bake in a 325-degree oven for 10 minutes. Turn slices over and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more till dry and crisp. Remove cookies and cool on wire racks. Makes about 36.

Maple Sugar Cookies

3 cups unbleached white flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick ( 4 Tbsps) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 pound maple sugar, crushed ( 2 cups )
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sour cream

1. In a small bowl, stir the flour, baking soda, and salt to combine.

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and maple sugar together at medium speed until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, add the vanilla and beat until light and fluffy.

3. Add the sour cream, and beat on low spead until well blended. Gradually beat in the flour mixture to make a smooth, medium soft dough. Remove the dough to a sheet of plastic wrap and press the dough into a flat round disk. Wrap well, and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.

4. Preheat oven to 375. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll it out to a thickness of 1/2 inch. Cut into rounds with a 2 inch round cookie cutter and set on prepared baking sheets, about 1 inch apart.

6. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until cookies are golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer cookies to wire racks to cool. Let cool completely, then store in airtight containers where they will keep for up to 2 weels.

Soft Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Uncle Bob suggested I post this recipe in here, even tho it's not really a Christmas Cookie, so everyone would find it. Here 'tis! :chef:

If you like your Oatmeal Cookies to be soft, these are the best ever. Unfortunately, I don't like raisins any more, so I haven't made these lately, but you won't be disappointed!

from the Feastivals Files:
BARBARA COOPER'S OATMEAL COOKIES

makes 6-7 dozen

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

1 cup raisins
1 cup water

Simmer over low heat until raisins are plump (about 20-30 minutes). Drain liquid into measuring cup. Add water (or rum) to make 1/2 cup of liquid.

3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups (cane) sugar
2 extra large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix together. Stir in the raisin liquid.

2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon each: ground cloves, mace, nutmeg

Stir together and add to butter mixture:

2 cups rolled oats
the previously prepared raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Add dry ingredients to dough.

Drop rounded teaspoons of dough about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in the preheated oven for 8 - 10 minutes.

These cookies will stay soft because of the soft raisins, and the raisins will stay soft because of the liquid they’ve imbibed.

* Barbara Cooper was a friend of mine when I lived in Milwaukee, WI. She met an untimely death in 1972. These cookies are part of her gift to posterity. Rest in peace, dear friend.

Maple Sugar Cookies...

6. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until cookies are golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer cookies to wire racks to cool. Let cool completely, then store in airtight containers where they will keep for up to 2 weels.

I don't know about YOUR house, but in mine these wouldn't make it 2 DAYS! Thanks for the recipe. I'm drooling! Copied and pasted.

Here's another one I make for the holidays. this was from a friend's Mom. Makes 3 - 4 dozen, depending on the size.

Pecan Balls

1/2 cup softened butter
2 cups flour
2 tsps vanilla
4 Tbsp white sugar
1/2 lb chopped pecans

She did the whole thing by hand. I didn't.

If you have a Cuisinart, pulse the sugar and pecans, just till rough chopped. Then add the rest of the ingredients, pulse until blended. Don't make it mush.

Roll into small balls, marble sized, way smaller than a golf ball. Bake in a preheated 300 oven for 1/2 hour. While still warm, roll in white sugar to coat.

They are quite delicate, but they freeze very well.

Last edited:
I wish I hadn't found this thread. I'm sure now I will be putting my 15 lbs back on (the last from the last baby dangit!!!!) and going broke buying butter!!
David the Northpole site is really cool! Thanks!!

BOILED COOKIES
Aka No Bake Cookies
Aka "Preacher" Cookies

2 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup Shortning
1/2 Cup Milk
2 T. Cocoa (I use Nestle's Quick Sometimes)
1/2 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
2 Cups Quick Oatmeal​

Bring sugar, shortning, milk and cocoa to a boil. Boil until the Soft ball stage (3-5 minutes) Remove from heat, add peanut butter and stir. Add Oatmeal and blend together. Drop by teaspoon on to wax paper etc. and cool. Yield 3 Dozen.

Enjoy!!​

Soft Sugar Cookie Recipe

• 8 ounces (1 cup) butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup confectioners, sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cups canola or vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup colored sugar or sprinkles
Directions: How To Make Soft Sugar Cookies for Christmas

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. Prepare baking sheets by lining with parchment paper or spraying with vegetable shortening.
  3. Using a stand mixer, beat butter until creamy. Add sugar and confectioners' sugar and continue beating until nice and fluffy. Scrape bowl. Add eggs one at a time and beat after each addition. Mix in vanilla.
  4. On low-medium speed, mix in canola oil. Scrape bowl again. Add baking soda, cream of tartar and salt and blend well.
  5. With mixer on low speed, add flour 1 cup at a time. Beat well, and scrape sides of bowl making sure to get down to the very bottom.
  6. Have the red and green colored sugar or sprinkles ready in another bowl or two, or combine the two sugars in one bowl. Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, measure out dough, roll into balls and coat completely in colored sugar or sprinkles. Place on prepared baking sheets, leaving room for the cookies to spread.
  7. Bake at 325 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until the outside of cookies feel slightly firm to the touch.
  8. Remove and cool on racks before storing in airtight containers.
  9. Makes 50-60 delicious Soft Sugar Cookies!
Note: Is the kitchen hot and humid? Chill the dough for 30 minutes before scooping and baking.

Chocolate Biscotti

Being Italian, biscotti always seems to make an appearance some way or another at the holidays in my family.... here is a recipe for Chocolate Biscotti:

Chocolate Biscotti Recipe

Makes about 3 dozen cookies

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Prepare your cookie sheets by greasing them or line them with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add in the cocoa and baking powder. Add the eggs one at a time. Sift the flour in next, work until you have a ball of dough. Finally mix in the chocolate chips. Divide the ball into two pieces.

Form each piece into a roll (a long tube) as long as your cookie sheet. Place the roll onto the prepared cookie sheet and apply a little bit a pressure until it is about 1/2 an inch thick.

Pop these in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. When the color seems right, remove from the baking sheet to cool on a wire rack. When the biscotti are cool enough to handle, slice 'em up! Using a long-bladed knife, slice the cookies into 1/2 inch slices.

Place the slices cut side up back onto the baking sheet. Bake for an additional 6 to 10 minutes on each side. Remove from heat, and now you've got a chocolate-y and delicious alternative to the traditional biscotti, which are sure to be a big a hit!

Almond Crescents

These are a family favorite and I just finished making a double batch

1 C butter
3/4 C sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
2 1/2 C flour
1 C ground almonds

Sugar for dredging

Oven 350 F

Cream together butter, sugar and extracts. All flour and almonds mix till combined.

Form dough (about a tsp) into logs and then shape into crescents. Bake on ungreased sheet till very light brown. WHile still warm (but not hot) roll cookies in sugar. Confectionsers sugar is traditional, but I preper 6 X (superfine) sugar.

How many ways can you say yum!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

You're right! It's that time of year again, and it's my favorite time! Here is another delicious holiday cookie recipe that everyone loves.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

Ingredients
¼ cup Creamy Peanut Butter
1 Large Eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
¾ cup Light Brown Sugar
½ cup Unsalted Butter, (1 stick), room temperature
¾ cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, (all purpose flour is fine)
¾ teaspoon Baking Soda
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
1 ½ cups Rolled Oats
1 cup Chocolate Chips, (milk chocolate is good here)
½ cups Peanut butter chips

Directions
1 Cream butter & sugar.
Preheat oven to 325. Using a stand mixer on medium speed, cream together butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar until smooth. Scrape down sides then add vanilla extract and egg and beat again until combined.

2 Combine dry ingredients.
Add the flour, baking soda, and salt to a separate small bowl and stir with a fork to combine.

3 Add remaining ingredients.
Add flour mixture, half of it at a time, and mix on low just until flour is incorporated. Scrape down sides then add oats & chips; mix until just combined.

4 Bake cookies.
Using a small ice cream scoop, place balls of dough at least 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown on the edges but still a little gooey in the middle. Let cool on a rack then enjoy! :yum:

Back
Top Bottom