"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 10-24-2007, 07:55 AM   #51
Executive Chef

Here's another one I make for the holidays. this was from a friend's Mom. Makes 3 - 4 dozen, depending on the size.

Pecan Balls

1/2 cup softened butter
2 cups flour
2 tsps vanilla
4 Tbsp white sugar
1/2 lb chopped pecans

She did the whole thing by hand. I didn't.

If you have a Cuisinart, pulse the sugar and pecans, just till rough chopped. Then add the rest of the ingredients, pulse until blended. Don't make it mush.

Roll into small balls, marble sized, way smaller than a golf ball. Bake in a preheated 300 oven for 1/2 hour. While still warm, roll in white sugar to coat.

They are quite delicate, but they freeze very well.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:51 AM   #52
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Those are so delicious! Thanks, Lorraine. I'd forgotten about them. I love nutty cookies.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #53
Head Chef

Smile Tagging on

A good friend just gave me a heads up to a neat place, just in case you haven't been there go to Santa Claus and Christmas at the Northpole I took a look, tried out the links, etc. I will be going back there. Let me know what you think!
Old 11-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I wish I hadn't found this thread. I'm sure now I will be putting my 15 lbs back on (the last from the last baby dangit!!!!) and going broke buying butter!!
David the Northpole site is really cool! Thanks!!
Old 12-07-2007, 08:35 AM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

BOILED COOKIES
Aka No Bake Cookies
Aka "Preacher" Cookies

2 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup Shortning
1/2 Cup Milk
2 T. Cocoa (I use Nestle's Quick Sometimes)
1/2 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
2 Cups Quick Oatmeal

Bring sugar, shortning, milk and cocoa to a boil. Boil until the Soft ball stage (3-5 minutes) Remove from heat, add peanut butter and stir. Add Oatmeal and blend together. Drop by teaspoon on to wax paper etc. and cool. Yield 3 Dozen.

Enjoy!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #56
Executive Chef

I thought this looked interesting! Chocolate Chip Cookies with Kellogg's Rice Krispies

Anyone try these before???

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:43 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Soft Sugar Cookie Recipe
  • 8 ounces (1 cup) butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup confectioners, sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cups canola or vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup colored sugar or sprinkles
Directions: How To Make Soft Sugar Cookies for Christmas
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. Prepare baking sheets by lining with parchment paper or spraying with vegetable shortening.
  3. Using a stand mixer, beat butter until creamy. Add sugar and confectioners' sugar and continue beating until nice and fluffy. Scrape bowl. Add eggs one at a time and beat after each addition. Mix in vanilla.
  4. On low-medium speed, mix in canola oil. Scrape bowl again. Add baking soda, cream of tartar and salt and blend well.
  5. With mixer on low speed, add flour 1 cup at a time. Beat well, and scrape sides of bowl making sure to get down to the very bottom.
  6. Have the red and green colored sugar or sprinkles ready in another bowl or two, or combine the two sugars in one bowl. Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, measure out dough, roll into balls and coat completely in colored sugar or sprinkles. Place on prepared baking sheets, leaving room for the cookies to spread.
  7. Bake at 325 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until the outside of cookies feel slightly firm to the touch.
  8. Remove and cool on racks before storing in airtight containers.
  9. Makes 50-60 delicious Soft Sugar Cookies!
Note: Is the kitchen hot and humid? Chill the dough for 30 minutes before scooping and baking.

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #58
Assistant Cook

Smile Chocolate Biscotti

Being Italian, biscotti always seems to make an appearance some way or another at the holidays in my family.... here is a recipe for Chocolate Biscotti:

Chocolate Biscotti Recipe

Makes about 3 dozen cookies

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Prepare your cookie sheets by greasing them or line them with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add in the cocoa and baking powder. Add the eggs one at a time. Sift the flour in next, work until you have a ball of dough. Finally mix in the chocolate chips. Divide the ball into two pieces.

Form each piece into a roll (a long tube) as long as your cookie sheet. Place the roll onto the prepared cookie sheet and apply a little bit a pressure until it is about 1/2 an inch thick.

Pop these in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. When the color seems right, remove from the baking sheet to cool on a wire rack. When the biscotti are cool enough to handle, slice 'em up! Using a long-bladed knife, slice the cookies into 1/2 inch slices.

Place the slices cut side up back onto the baking sheet. Bake for an additional 6 to 10 minutes on each side. Remove from heat, and now you've got a chocolate-y and delicious alternative to the traditional biscotti, which are sure to be a big a hit!
Old 12-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #59
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Almond Crescents

These are a family favorite and I just finished making a double batch

1 C butter
3/4 C sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
2 1/2 C flour
1 C ground almonds

Sugar for dredging

Oven 350 F

Cream together butter, sugar and extracts. All flour and almonds mix till combined.

Form dough (about a tsp) into logs and then shape into crescents. Bake on ungreased sheet till very light brown. WHile still warm (but not hot) roll cookies in sugar. Confectionsers sugar is traditional, but I preper 6 X (superfine) sugar.

How many ways can you say yum!
Old 11-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #60
Assistant Cook

Smile Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

You're right! It's that time of year again, and it's my favorite time! Here is another delicious holiday cookie recipe that everyone loves.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

Ingredients
cup Creamy Peanut Butter
1 Large Eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
cup Light Brown Sugar
cup Unsalted Butter, (1 stick), room temperature
cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, (all purpose flour is fine)
teaspoon Baking Soda
teaspoon Kosher salt
1 cups Rolled Oats
1 cup Chocolate Chips, (milk chocolate is good here)
cups Peanut butter chips

Directions
1 Cream butter & sugar.
Preheat oven to 325. Using a stand mixer on medium speed, cream together butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar until smooth. Scrape down sides then add vanilla extract and egg and beat again until combined.

2 Combine dry ingredients.
Add the flour, baking soda, and salt to a separate small bowl and stir with a fork to combine.

3 Add remaining ingredients.
Add flour mixture, half of it at a time, and mix on low just until flour is incorporated. Scrape down sides then add oats & chips; mix until just combined.

4 Bake cookies.
Using a small ice cream scoop, place balls of dough at least 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown on the edges but still a little gooey in the middle. Let cool on a rack then enjoy!

Tags
None