Virtual Holiday Cookie Swap!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Years ago I wanted to make a special holiday bread for my Czechoslovak DIL. I got the recipe, but had to convert from metric to English, then from weight to volume. Thank you Joy of Cooking!
I put it together, and it was supposed to look like braided bread, but when I took it out of the oven, it looked like a giant Milkbone!:)
It tasted good, though
Taste is what matters.

Psst are you a boy named sue? Sorry couldn't resist.

Last edited:
My DD wants to make some cookies this weekend. I'll probably pick out a half dozen.

The problem with converting to imperial from metric, it sometimes doesn't get correct. I saw I seen that few times, it misses up to 15 ml sometimes.

That why I got both a Imperial US and one metric set. I used to have Aussie cup set too, which is slightly larger then US, but it got lost.

Msmofet: Make the Swedish gingerbread dough, it great to have on hand, but remember to do it the day before you want to bake.

The problem with converting to imperial from metric, it sometimes doesn't get correct. I saw I seen that few times, it misses up to 15 ml sometimes.

That why I got both a Imperial US and one metric set. I used to have Aussie cup set too, which is slightly larger then US, but it got lost.

I have an American set of measuring cups. On the bottom are the measurements for those who go by ml measurements. Only once have I had a need for that service. But I was glad I did those cups that were marked.

Krumkake

Recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies.

2 eggs
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cardamom, fresh ground
1 cup of whole milk

To Prepare Iron for Use: Place iron directly over medium heat on top of stove. Alternately heat both sides of the iron until water sprinkled inside sizzles. Grease inside of plates with a dab of butter when making the first few cookies.

Beat eggs well; add sugar,and beat again until light lemon colored. Add butter and cardamom Continue beating. Add flour and milk, alternately, beat until smooth.

Refrigerate about 30 minutes before baking cookies.

Use Whole cardamom (from dried green pods) seeds that are shelled and freshly ground in a spice /coffee grinder or crushed with a rolling pin. Blow off the chaff and use the powder.

To Bake: Spoon about 1 tsp. of batter in center of baking surface. Close iron and gently squeeze handles together. (Batter flowing out indicates too much batter being used and this surplus should be scraped off immediately before it burns.) Bake 5-10 seconds before turning iron over to continue baking on other side. Flip s few times. Bake until cookie is a light golden brown; open iron to check for doneness. Remove quickly with a spatula or table knife and roll immediately on cone or wooden dowel to shape. Remove cone and cool seam side down on wire rack. When completely cool store in shallow airtight container, stacking carefully 1-2 deep

Last edited:
Today I mailed out three kinds of Christmas cookies to my 4 step-children. I made Mexican Wedding cakes, chocolate almond cookies and biscochitos. I made enough for my FIL and DH's ex-MIL :huh::D

My daughter was just talking about breaking out the krumkake iron! I will mention to her that others are ahead of us!

I just did my cookie swap with a friend. I gave her chocolate marshmallow nut roll, maple cookies and brown sugar shortbread. I have the gingerbread cookie dough in the fridge and that will happen tomorrow. YUM!

Krumkake

Recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies.

2 eggs
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cardamom, fresh ground
1 cup of whole milk

To Prepare Iron for Use: Place iron directly over medium heat on top of stove. Alternately heat both sides of the iron until water sprinkled inside sizzles. Grease inside of plates with a dab of butter when making the first few cookies.

Beat eggs well; add sugar,and beat again until light lemon colored. Add butter and cardamom Continue beating. Add flour and milk, alternately, beat until smooth.

Refrigerate about 30 minutes before baking cookies.

Use Whole cardamom (from dried green pods) seeds that are shelled and freshly ground in a spice /coffee grinder or crushed with a rolling pin. Blow off the chaff and use the powder.

To Bake: Spoon about 1 tsp. of batter in center of baking surface. Close iron and gently squeeze handles together. (Batter flowing out indicates too much batter being used and this surplus should be scraped off immediately before it burns.) Bake 5-10 seconds before turning iron over to continue baking on other side. Flip s few times. Bake until cookie is a light golden brown; open iron to check for doneness. Remove quickly with a spatula or table knife and roll immediately on cone or wooden dowel to shape. Remove cone and cool seam side down on wire rack. When completely cool store in shallow airtight container, stacking carefully 1-2 deep
Hmmm...my recipe is similar re: technique, except instead of milk, 1 c heavy cream, whipped and the eggs are separated with the whipped egg whites folded in at the end, no chilling required. Vanilla and cardamon, always cardamon. I posted my Grandma's Krumkake recipe a few years ago. Didn't work with the fresh eggs--I didn't realize that I had to weigh the eggs because they were so much bigger than the store-bought/graded large eggs.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f43/christmas-wouldnt-be-christmas-grandmas-krumkake-75480.html

I didn't buy farmer eggs for baking this year. Who can afford them>

I'm not sure when or now even why I started refrigerating the dough for 1/2-1 hour before cooking. Something was inhibiting their turning out just right? It could be something as simple as I stopped for a smoke break halfway through, so it seemed like the logical thing to do at the time, and now I just do it.

I would think all that whipping and combining would make your krumkake much lighter and delicate. They are already guaranteed to crumble unless your extra hand is held under them to catch the crumbles. I inherited my great aunt's krumkake iron some years ago and my MIL gave me hers when we were first married. I think this is my favorite Christmas cookie.

I didn't buy farmer eggs for baking this year. Who can afford them>

I'm not sure when or now even why I started refrigerating the dough for 1/2-1 hour before cooking. Something was inhibiting their turning out just right? It could be something as simple as I stopped for a smoke break halfway through, so it seemed like the logical thing to do at the time, and now I just do it.

I would think all that whipping and combining would make your krumkake much lighter and delicate. They are already guaranteed to crumble unless your extra hand is held under them to catch the crumbles. I inherited my great aunt's krumkake iron some years ago and my MIL gave me hers when we were first married. I think this is my favorite Christmas cookie.
You gotta have the technique down to eat Krumkake! Even when times have been tough, if only one cookie was made (lefse doesn't count as a cookie), it had to be krumkake. And yes, that recipe is very delicate and crumbly. Christmas is not Christmas without Krumkake. I have the same kind of griddle you described--it was my Grandma's. My parents have a fancy-dancy electric 2 Krumkake griddle. It does cut the time down, but you need to up your krumkake dancing skills to get both off the griddle and rolled before the next 2 are ready.

FWIW, in Northern MN, you can buy krumkake, lefse, and rosettes at local bakeries.

Last edited:
No Lefse is bread, so yeah leafse is no cookie.

My mum used to do gorån at Christmas, how ever I cant, cannot find an electric machine down here in the south only old irons for open flames and I dont have that.

No Lefse is bread, so yeah leafse is no cookie.

My mum used to do gorån at Christmas, how ever I cant, cannot find an electric machine down here in the south only old irons for open flames and I dont have that.

What is gorån?

It would be great if you would translate when you use Swedish words :)

According to Google images, but some of the pix showed rectangular waffles that get rolled up:

gorn-1-fixad_67752466.jpg

Back
Top Bottom