"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2
Weird Smell from Chocolate Chip Cookies

Hi,
I just cooked a batch of chocolate chip cookies using Nestle Toll house morsels and the recipe right off the package. I went by the instructions exactly and when the cookies were ready I could swear I smelled something in them (that I didn't think belonged there). After some time my brain told me that it smelled like peanut butter.

So I wondered if one of my ingredients went bad. The only ingredient that I had that was somewhat old was the dark brown sugar. Could this be it?

Then I went and read the package to see if they used peanut oil or some such thing. Turns out they don't but, the package states that the product was produced in a factory that handles peanuts. Could this be the source of the smell?

Has anyone seen (or smelled) something like this?

Paddy (in NJ)

__________________

__________________
paddydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Sous Chef
 
Rom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 715
hmmm not me...did u taste them yet?
__________________

__________________
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2
Sure did and they are okay but I still smell the peanut.
But I'm holding off on serving the rest because I'm not sure.

I'm hoping that someone else has seen this.

Paddy
__________________
paddydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
Senior Cook
 
mozart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddydd View Post
Hi,
I just cooked a batch of chocolate chip cookies using Nestle Toll house morsels and the recipe right off the package. I went by the instructions exactly and when the cookies were ready I could swear I smelled something in them (that I didn't think belonged there). After some time my brain told me that it smelled like peanut butter.

So I wondered if one of my ingredients went bad. The only ingredient that I had that was somewhat old was the dark brown sugar. Could this be it?

Then I went and read the package to see if they used peanut oil or some such thing. Turns out they don't but, the package states that the product was produced in a factory that handles peanuts. Could this be the source of the smell?

Has anyone seen (or smelled) something like this?

Paddy (in NJ)
The toll house recipe I have calls for lite brown sugar, so the dark brown sugar may be the source of the weird smell. Butter, when it is browned, is often described as having a "nutty" smell also.

Smell is pretty subjective, as is taste. Have you seen those chefs on Hells Kitchen that can't pick out a common piece of meat or fruit by taste?

Anyway, that smell may disappear as the cookies cool. If it doesn't and it really freaks you out, then toss them.

I am not aware of any problems with sugar other than getting hard and bugs if not stored really well.

Bugs.....hmm... Maybe you should just leave those cookies outside your back door and I'll come over and dispose of them for you
__________________
mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:58 PM   #5
Senior Cook
 
CherryRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 290
Send a message via AIM to CherryRed
But the only difference between light and dark brown sugar is artificial coloring. Not sure what could've caused the smell. . . I make cookies from that recipe all the time and they turn out fine. Sorry I can't be more helpful! Let us know if you think of anything else that might be related.

Hey. . . this might be totally off, but have you recently used your oven or baking sheets for anything with peanuts in it?
__________________
<3 Cherry
CherryRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Monroe, Michigan
Posts: 5,912
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryRed View Post
But the only difference between light and dark brown sugar is artificial coloring. Not sure what could've caused the smell. . . I make cookies from that recipe all the time and they turn out fine. Sorry I can't be more helpful! Let us know if you think of anything else that might be related.

Hey. . . this might be totally off, but have you recently used your oven or baking sheets for anything with peanuts in it?
Dark brown sugar has more molasses than light brown, I prefer light brown.
__________________
Grandma's Boys - Isaiah (11) Cameron (3 )
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:55 AM   #7
Head Chef
 
letscook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Finger Lakes of NY
Posts: 1,880
I had that happen to me, I found that my shortening wasn't the freshest.
It will go rancid after a while and I think mine was on the edge. Smmer time don't bake as much.
I threw all out and brought new can and started over and they were good.
Now I learn to buy small can of shortening in summer.
__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:03 AM   #8
Senior Cook
 
mozart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
I had that happen to me, I found that my shortening wasn't the freshest.
It will go rancid after a while and I think mine was on the edge. Smmer time don't bake as much.
I threw all out and brought new can and started over and they were good.
Now I learn to buy small can of shortening in summer.
I always buy the small can thinking I won't use if fast enough and It's not good for me anyway. I can't tell you how many times I've ended up with a half of a cup when the recipe calls for 3/4 cup or more. I usually substitute butter for the rest with good results or sometimes oil.

I guess I'm like the guy who buys his cigarettes one pack at a time because he's going to quit soon. 5 years later, he is still buying them one pack at a time.
__________________
mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:36 AM   #9
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
my cooking always emits a weird or unusual odor :-P
__________________

__________________
Thank You Cookies
brinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.