What Christmas cookies did you make this year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy M, how do you folks keep your Ginger Bread cookies fresh?

I wrapped my Giant Boys in a cellophane bag, you know the ones from the craft stores, gift bags, and then I twisted up the tail of the bag and teist-tied it.

Do you think that will do until Sunday?

I just asked SO. She froze them in an airtight container.

So cute, K-Girl! Love their little boxers and bowties!

I used to bake and decorate gingerbread people, along with regular gingerbread. Good stuff!

Last edited:
After reading and seeing all the lovely work here, I am going to ignore being sick and do some baking tomorrow. I am planning on making my Christmas Wreath Cake for Christmas dinner. But I love to make cookies. And I have to make Royal Icing for the cake anyway for the holly leaves. So it is no problem to make some for cookies to decorate.

I make the cake for my daughter's Christmas dinner. And there are a few people here who never have visitors. So they will be getting the cookies. Pirate ran into one of the new tenants who stated that he gets so lonely at times. He will be the biggest recipient of the cookies. :angel:

I rarely bake Christmas cookies. Blame Himself. :glare: It goes back to the Year of the Sneaky Cookie Attack. Before house, before children, I baked cookies at Christmas. I had made a batch of cookies a night for nearly a week, packing and hiding each Tupperware container in a different "safe" hiding place. Himself found them, started sampling unbeknownst to me, and nearly decimated the Russian Tea Cake cookies by the time I went to get them to pack a cookie plate for work. I vowed to never make Christmas cookies again! :LOL: I have made them a few times since, but not often.

If I get the chance, I hope to make a couple banana nut breads I can freeze and then take to OH when we go spend Christmas with our kids. That, along with a pint of homemade spaghetti sauce, and they'll think they had the best Christmas ever.

I feel for you...Hope you feel better soon. :angel:
Addie, I sure hope jabbur is feeling better. That post of hers was from 2013. ;)

I haven't done any baking lately, just haven't felt like it. But, I'll probably whip up a batch of pecan balls (rich butter cookie, chopped pecans, dusted in 10x sugar after baking and cooking), maybe some pecan tassies. If he's a real good boy Craig might get some of my macadamia nut cookies, his fave and they are to die for, white chocolate chips, rum, etc. I'd like to have some peanut butter fudge and/or chocolate/butterscotch fudge and/or some bourbon balls (candy not cake based). but you can only eat so many sweets. And he wants Alton Brown's cinnamon rolls too. He's been hinting around (actually not really hinting) for weeks for them.

Plus, I'll have to remind DD to let the GDs make some Daisy's Divinity. It's a recipe I got years and years and years ago out of a Disney kid's magazine. Softened cream cheese, 10x sugar, pecans, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Mix well and let the kids have at it. Most of it gets eaten as kids roll the balls but it's fun for them and something they can make with very minimal supervision.

I rarely bake Christmas cookies. Blame Himself. :glare: It goes back to the Year of the Sneaky Cookie Attack. Before house, before children, I baked cookies at Christmas. I had made a batch of cookies a night for nearly a week, packing and hiding each Tupperware container in a different "safe" hiding place. Himself found them, started sampling unbeknownst to me, and nearly decimated the Russian Tea Cake cookies by the time I went to get them to pack a cookie plate for work. I vowed to never make Christmas cookies again! :LOL: I have made them a few times since, but not often.

If I get the chance, I hope to make a couple banana nut breads I can freeze and then take to OH when we go spend Christmas with our kids. That, along with a pint of homemade spaghetti sauce, and they'll think they had the best Christmas ever.

Addie, I sure hope jabbur is feeling better. That post of hers was from 2013. ;)

Oh well, I am sure she is well by now. But I am not. Week #4 of this stinking cold. I can't wait for spring. :angel:

I really wanted to get into the Christmas Spirit today. But this cold is driving me crazy and sapping me of all my strength. It is still early in the day, so I am going to fight for some energy today.

My neighbor next door hung a lovely wreath on my door without even knowing it. That has helped my spirit a bit. Maybe if I get the flour canister and put it on the counter, my cookie baking angel will stop by and get me into a better mood. :angel:

WHAT?!
Addie, dear Addie, have you been to the doctor for this?
Four weeks of a cold sounds too long... :(

I reinfected myself. I was just starting to get better, and BANG! I was back at day one. The Phlegm is clear, not green, no runny nose and no fever. Just hard, breath wracking cough. Sometimes it is difficult to get the phlegm up. So the cough lasts longer than is good for me. My main concern is that when a coughing spell last too long, it is a strain on my heart. I have two medicines that Winthrop gave me last week. And I am scheduled to go back on the 16th. If anything changes before then for the worse, I can call and they will either send the visiting nurse, or the van to pick me up and bring me in to take a look at me. If the VN thinks it is necessary, she will call an ambulance. So far no pneumonia. And that is the main concern. But in the past eight years I have had the shot of the pneumonia twice. And my nurse Sharon calls me every other day to check on me. If Pirate answers the phone and I am sleeping, Sharon tells him "Wake her up!" If I don't sound too sick, then she is satisfied. And I can go right back to sleep.

I have no appetite. So I am forcing myself to eat at least once a day. Even if it is just a cup of chicken broth. Gotta luv that "Better Than Bullion, Low Sodium".

Winthrop is pretty good about staying on top of my health issues.

Thank you for asking and caring. I do appreciate your concern. :angel:

I need to hold off a bit on the cookie making. I eat them. I have polished off a batch of Mexican Wedding cakes already. I will make more of them and one batch of chocolate almond cookies for a holiday sing coming up. Then more after Christmas when step son and family stay here.

kgirl, those are adorable gingerbread guys, and I love how you decorated them. I'm sure your guests will be so happy to receive such a nice gift!

Not sure I'm going to bake any cookies this year - I don't usually do very much baking anyway, and my daughter is the one who goes all out with the Christmas season goodies. I'll probably just grab a small plate of goodies from her. ;):LOL:

Last edited:
It's official. I have been asked to make sugar cookies. And they want them decorated. Colored sugar may be all they get. I have to make some green Royal icing for the cake, so I am thinking of making extra and cut out the cookies with a doughnut cuter. Decorate them as wreaths as well as the cake. :angel:

Addie, I would show up with a muffin pan full of trimmings and tell the crowd that the evening's entertainment is decorating their own cookies ;)
I just zipped a variation of this off to our daughter, who is a co-leader of a Girl Scout troop along with her best friend who actually HAS a kid in the troop! I'll let you know if she has time to use it.

I've not made too many types yet, but I've done a LOT of baking so far! I've done two giant batches of brown sugar shortbread and two giant batches of caramel corn. That's all gone already! I had a couple of parties to attend and had to take little gifts for people. Whew. I'll be doing another batch of the shortbread closer to the big day and I'll be making nuts and bolts as well. I'm making gingerbread cookies with the kids at work tonight, and will do a batch for home on my next set of days off. I'm trying to decide what else I want to do, and my family is oh so helpful...they want EVERYTHING!

Cookie Question

I want to make the dough today for the sugar cookies, place it in the fridge or freeze it until around the 21st before I bake them. I tire easily and doubt I can do it all in one day.

Does this sound doable? :angel:

One step at a time, Addie! Pillsbury makes frozen sugar cookie dough, I'm sure yours will freeze just fine.

Nice thing about freezing a roll of dough is that you can hack off a couple of cookies worth at a time instead of baking (and eating) a whole batch at once.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom