What's the deal with these cookies being flat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh no. How maddening! You must be so frustrated.

well, something must be different. If we could only figure out what. Do you have any ideas?

Oh no. How maddening! You must be so frustrated.

well, something must be different. If we could only figure out what. Do you have any ideas?

I'm checking my over today. The only other thing I can figure out is maybe I'm over mixing the batter some how.

I would love someone else to make this recipe.

Overmixing is definitely possible. I found that video I posted to be really helpful to me in getting the creaming method right. It's tricky!

Gee, I might have to make this recipe this weekend. For science and all. I hope my husband won't mind. :angel:

in some of those links, over mixing was a culprit of flat cookies, as was too much baking soda and too much egg (using jumbo instead of med or large)

Thank you for this information. I will print this out and keep it for future use. I decided that tomorrow I'm going to go buy fresh and name brand ingredients and rebake the cookies.

I'm determined to get these cookies to bake the way they did the first time because they were the best cookies.

You're very welcome. Let us know how they turn out!

I think you're on the right track with trying to standardize your ingredients and test your baking soda. Thanks merstar for the info on checking baking soda & powder, I'm going to hang on to that!

You're very welcome, apple tart. :)

Oven set at 350 degrees, oven temp = 350 degrees
Oven set at 375 degrees, oven temp = 400 degrees
Oven set between 350 and 375, oven temp = 400 degrees

oven is an issue.

Oven set at 350 degrees, oven temp = 350 degrees
Oven set at 375 degrees, oven temp = 400 degrees
Oven set between 350 and 375, oven temp = 400 degrees

oven is an issue.

Actually, a fluctuation of 25 degrees or so is pretty normal. Did you place the thermometer in the center of the oven, then preheat it for 30 minutes, and keep the thermometer in there at least 30 minutes? It doesn't sound like your oven is the problem - mine is right on at 350 F also, but fluctuates a little at 400F, etc.
Cook's Illustrated did a test, and also found that most ovens fluctuate 25-50 degrees both up and down. So, your oven doesn't sound so bad, since it's only about 25 degrees off at 375, and is perfect at 350 F.

Another thought occurred to me - is your climate extra humid right now, as compared to other times when you did the cookies and they turned out well?

Sorry for the long post.Recipe
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 (12 oz) packaged semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips
3 (1-oz) suares bittersweet chocolate, chopped
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheets.With an electric mixer, beat butter and shortening at medium speed until creamy; gradually add sugars, beating until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, beating well.In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop cookies (with an ice cream scooper or mellon baller) about 3-inches apart onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 11 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets. Remove to wire racks to cool. Makes 3 dozen.The first time I made these I got thru the steps until adding the flour and my mixer started smoking. It died to the point it could never be brought back to life....LOL. So 1 cup of the flour mixture was added to the butter mixer by hand and then we ran to the store and got a new mixer (I finally got my kitchenaid stand mixer that I had been wanting for a million years). We then added the rest of the flour mixture using the stand mixer and added the chips. The cookie mixture sat out on the counter the entire time we were gone to the store. I cooked the cookies and they were perfect. The thickest cookies I have ever seen.Since then, every time I make these cookies they are flat with holes in them. Things I have figured out:
1) use unsalted butter (did this the first time but other times did not)
2) let butter soften on the counter (other times I softened it in the microwave)Today I use unsalted butter and let it softened it on the counter and the cookies are still going flat. I also used a hand mixer today and not the stand mixer. Am I not flufflying the butter/sugar mixing enough? Any ideas?
Thanks
first thing I noticed was too much fat in the recipe.that always tends to make very flat cookies. if using that much fat, and again, it's too much, put dough in frig for hours covered first to firm it up

I got sick last week and have not re-made the cookies again.

Overmixing is definitely possible. I found that video I posted to be really helpful to me in getting the creaming method right. It's tricky!

Gee, I might have to make this recipe this weekend. For science and all. I hope my husband won't mind. :angel:

apple*tart, did you get to your science project? How did it turn out?

I didn't, sorry! My inner cookie monster took over and demanded peanut butter cookies. Now it wants pumpkin chocolate chip. I'm helpless against it. :ermm:

I think my oven is the issue. I baked sugar cookies tonight (iced with bobcat paws) for the high school football game (13 yr old son plays in the marching band) and when I set the oven to the correct degree by the thermometer, the cookies turned out perfect!!

I'm going to cook these cookies tomorrow and expect them to turn out great.

Thank you for all the help.

I'm so happy. I got the cookies to work. I'll post a picture later. I used 1 cup of butter crisco instead of butter and they are beautiful. Tho my daughter's friend was here and she said it was her touch (she was here the first time I baked these).

Back
Top Bottom