"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
...And what ingredient could be cheaper than water?

Air. They whip air into it to make it look like more.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #22
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Air. They whip air into it to make it look like more.
Touché!

Except that air doesn't increase the net weight. But it probably saves the expense of manufacturing a package that makes it look larger.
__________________

__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,037
Having grown up with margarine, I will take butter every day. There are only two choices with Butter. Salt free or with salt. The only thing that affects butter is the feed. The majority of farmers plant fields of clover. It makes for a sweeter product. For the winter when the fields are covered with snow, they feed them a mix of alfalfa along with hay. When you read the ingredients on the box of butter, "Fresh cream, salt." Then read the list of ingredients on the margarine. Too many to list and most you can't pronounce. You will nevr convince me that margarine is good for man.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #24
Senior Cook
 
FluffyAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyAngel

I was told in Nursing school it was because margarine can have the same effect on your arteries as plastic building up plaque, etc., etc... I can't remember all the details now.
I didn't finish my thought, was kind of interrupted then forgot, so I will finish now - for my own piece of mind. As I was saying, effect on the arteries blah blah blah. Anything in excess has it's dangers. Good old butter included(however I am a freak butter fan - i can't even tell you how much). There is actually a type of packing material peanuts that are safe for consumption but I'm not snacking on them anytime soon, without being stranded in some God forsaken deserted place trapped with no food or water and delirious. I bet those packing peanuts which are so biodegradable that they are safe for consumption might do some damage if you tried to put them in a casserole & cook 'em. Point being, yes margarine is dangerous in the same way that butter is. If used in excess. Which I do use butter a little too much myself. My grandmother used to only buy margarine because she thought it was healthier - but - the family would just use double the amount trying to get that "butter flavor & texture" that can only be obtained with true butter. She was trying to do good to the family but probably could have saved a ton of money just buying real butter and offering it with caution and in small portions. Fat tastes and feels different on the tongue. It's not just the taste, but the texture you can feel with butter and how it reacts with other ingredients. And I agree that margarine is different than it used to be. It does seem like the ratio has changed to more water.
__________________
Cooking = Loving in SC
FluffyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,879
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I eat butter. I won't have margarine in my house. A doctor described it this way on some TV show: margarine is a non-food. If we hear that trans fats are bad for you, next week, margarine won't have trans fats. If we find out that Omega 3 fatty acids are good for us, then next week, it will be in the margarine. It's just whatever the latest nutrition fad that's going.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #26
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
OK, I skimmed over all of the entries on this, and somehow, somewhere I missed anyone saying that, at least when I was a kid, margarine was considerably less expensive than butter, and, as an aside, salad dressing (aka "Miracle Whip", but we never got that brand name) cheaper than Mayo. That's why I grew up on those products.
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
OK, I skimmed over all of the entries on this, and somehow, somewhere I missed anyone saying that, at least when I was a kid, margarine was considerably less expensive than butter, and, as an aside, salad dressing (aka "Miracle Whip", but we never got that brand name) cheaper than Mayo. That's why I grew up on those products.
It is cheaper than butter. That is why my family used it and I had to mix it in the big brown bowl. Margarine came about due to WWII. Butter was rationed. The dairy industry was up in arms and convinced the government that it shouldn't be sold with the coloring in it. It would cut into the sales of butter because it was so much cheaper than butter. It wasn't until after the war and butter was no longer rationed, that you could buy margarine with the color in it.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #28
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I eat butter. I won't have margarine in my house. A doctor described it this way on some TV show: margarine is a non-food. If we hear that trans fats are bad for you, next week, margarine won't have trans fats. If we find out that Omega 3 fatty acids are good for us, then next week, it will be in the margarine. It's just whatever the latest nutrition fad that's going.
I'm in complete agreement with you. I don't eat margarine, either.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:52 AM   #29
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It is cheaper than butter. That is why my family used it and I had to mix it in the big brown bowl. Margarine came about due to WWII. Butter was rationed. The dairy industry was up in arms and convinced the government that it shouldn't be sold with the coloring in it. It would cut into the sales of butter because it was so much cheaper than butter. It wasn't until after the war and butter was no longer rationed, that you could buy margarine with the color in it.
After WW2 Rickets in kids was a big worry because of rationing. The Gov at the time passed a law that made margarine and bread producers add vitamins etc too their products.This stopped the problem.
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
After WW2 Rickets in kids was a big worry because of rationing. The Gov at the time passed a law that made margarine and bread producers add vitamins etc too their products.This stopped the problem.
I was one of those kids. To this day I am still anemic and my body seems to resist absorbing the necessary nutrients. Including iodine. It is one of the reasons I never stopped drinking milk. I remember the doctor telling me that I needed to drink all my milk or all my bones would just melt. I was about five then. To this day, I will have a tall glass of cold milk with my meals. Even when I eat out at a restaurant. I love the look on the face of the waitress when she asks if anyone would like a drink. Everyone else orders a beer, martini, etc. And then it is my turn. "I'll have a nice tall glass of milk." Then during the meal I usually order a second glass.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
margarine, other

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.