"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 03-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

What's with margarine?

I have to admit I haven't baked my favorite oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe for a long time. When I try it with butter, it works well, but when I try it with margarine, it just doesn't turn out the same as it used to at all.

Is margarine just not the same as it used to be?

Old 03-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Margerine is not the same a butter and never has been. There are all different types of marg. and they are not always interchangeable with butter. Stick with butter.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

butter rocks. a friend once asked me to make a spice cake according to her family recipe for a gathering she was having. i couldn't bring myself to use the margarine and substituted butter instead. her mother was a little miffed because all the adult kids talked about how it was better than they'd ever tasted!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
Executive Chef

butter is a natural food product. margarine is colored oil partially hydrogenated to be hard at room temp. It has proven to be far less healthy than the real food product butter. It also tastes like sour oil.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

When I was a kid, you bought oleomargerine as a white brick or in a bag. The coloring agent was separate. You had to add it and mix it well to all of it was yellow. This took a lot of time. It was our job to do this as it was very time consuming. I swore that when I grew up, I would only buy butter. I have kept that promise to myself.

Margerine at that time was made from lard. Now it is chemicals and oil products. Read the labels. When you use it for baking cookies, the oil spreads and your cookies do not puff up like they do with butter. Butter has natural water in it and when in a baked product, it causes the water to change to steam thus a higher product. Do not exchange butter for margerine. But please do exchange margerine for butter. You will have a better product and it will taste so much better. If a recipe calls for margerine, it is probably a very old recipe or the person who wrote it cannot or will not go to the expense of purchasing the better product of butter. Butter is
Old 03-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I don't remember where i heard this but margarine is only one molecule from being plastic I'm not sure if its true but seems like it.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thanks everyone. I'll remember that butter is better, but it's just that years ago when I baked these cookies using margarine, they turned out pretty good, but now it seems like they are putting a lot more water into the margarine or something.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegummom View Post
butter is better
Thats a good way to remember it too.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissTheCook View Post
I don't remember where i heard this but margarine is only one molecule from being plastic I'm not sure if its true but seems like it.
I heard that also. And I tend to believe it. There are some things I don't listen to my doctor about. And using butter is one of them. We get Cabot butter here in New England. It is less than a dollar more than the house brand. But the taste is a million dollars different. So whenever it goes on sale, I load up. Right now I have eight pounds of it in the freezer. It is made in Vermont and shipped out every day. So the taste is always fresh. Land of Lakes for us, comes from their plant in NJ. It doesn't have the fresh taste that Cabot's has.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissTheCook View Post
Not true, its one of those urban legends that gets passed around from time to time. Margarine is made from vegetable oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegummom View Post
Thanks everyone. I'll remember that butter is better, but it's just that years ago when I baked these cookies using margarine, they turned out pretty good, but now it seems like they are putting a lot more water into the margarine or something.
It is quite likely that the brand of margarine you chose is to blame. Some margarines DO have a higher proportion of water in them. Look for a margarine that is 90+% canola, sunflower or other vegetable oil.

Margarine has its place in baking. You just need to be judicious in its usage. Some cookies will bake very flat when you use butter, but puff up nicely when you use margarine. This is due to the melting points of each of the fats. Don't be afraid to use margarine, just be careful which one you buy. Some are definitely better than others.

Tags
margarine, other