Why aren't my cookies getting crispy??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Home chef

Senior Cook
I love crispy cookies. I can't seem to make my cookies crispy. They always turn out moist. They are perfectly done inside and out but they just don't crisp up. Lately I have been using the TNT Toll House recipe. I scoop the dough out and let it rest on the counter for about 15 minutes before I cook them off. I know my temps are right on the money. The only thing I can think of is the fact that I'm using a gas oven instead of electric. Any help would be great

Yea, only buter. No shortening at all. I know butter melts faster and at a lower temp than shortening which SHOULD make the cookies crisp up better. Right??

Home chef said:
I love crispy cookies. I can't seem to make my cookies crispy. They always turn out moist. They are perfectly done inside and out but they just don't crisp up. Lately I have been using the TNT Toll House recipe. I scoop the dough out and let it rest on the counter for about 15 minutes before I cook them off. I know my temps are right on the money. The only thing I can think of is the fact that I'm using a gas oven instead of electric. Any help would be great

I wish I knew what you were doing because I love moist cookies!

If you are dropping your cookies, you have to flatten them with the bottom of a glass (or what ever you want to use). And they always cook at 375F for 12-14 minutes (but keep an eye on them anyway). Use ingredients like chocolate chips sparingly (you'll probably have 4-6 chips in every cookie depending on size). Don't use large eggs. Store any leftovers in a loosely covered container like a cookie tin.

Gosh HC, am not sure. You got me thinking on this one, and I hate to do that.

At first I focused in on the fat. More fatty, more chewy, right? Might try a batch using shortening as Barb said.

The only other thing I can focus in on is the flour. Are you using good old all purpose? If so, maybe it is the brand. Might try using a different one. Different amount of gluten perhaps. Heck if I know.

Would probably make a few batches varying the fat and flour and see how the cookies turn out.

Sounds like fun and you will have happy family, friends, and co-workers, or whomever gets to eat the results.

Chewy or crunchy I love cookies. Prefer them a bit on the crunchy side though.

If you figure this one out, would love to know the answer.

Wow, I was just coming on here to ask this very question! I love moist, soft cookies and my boyfriend likes them crunchy. I tried a half shortning half butter recipe, yet they still turned out chewy. I probably need to bake them longer.

Michelemarie, I have an AWESOME soft cookie recipe...I got it from allrecipes. Message me for it!!

Thanks for all the replies. Here are a few things I do know...

1. Shortening melts at a higher temp and most often results in a chewier cookie. Therefore I am using all butter.

2. I have used both Pillbsury as well as Gold Medal AP flour and both achieved the same results. I don't think it's the flour.

3. Since I am using all butter I am not having any problems with the cookies flattening out all by themselves.

4. I've never used a fork to make designs in chocolate chip cookies. Maybe in peanut butter cookies but never chocolate chip.

I might make a batch tonight and maybe use a 75 / 25 mix of butter & butter flavor shortening as well as reduce the temp 25 degrees & cook for a longer time. I'll post my results.

Brown sugar is what makes the cookies Chewy, and White granulated sugar makes them crunchy. For me, (soft and chewy cookie lover) I use a 3:1 ratio of brown:regular sugar.

To make them firmer and crisper, use a 3:1 granulated:brown ratio. This has always helped me.

To learn a lot about cookies and their science, consider finding the Good Eats episode where Alton talks about them :)

Yes, agree with you. Only butter makes cookies crispy. And I bake my cookies till golden brownLINK REMOVED

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom