"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 12-17-2004, 10:03 AM   #21

To stop cookies going flat, go to your Browser options settings and select 'Enable Cookies'

Old 12-17-2004, 10:03 AM   #22
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Wayne, you are truely a nut!

Old 12-17-2004, 10:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsk
Wayne, you are truely a nut!

Read my next Post on GATOR and your suspicions may be confirmed.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:29 AM   #24
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I read it & thanks. Hey, I have an affection for nuts, I'm one myself!
Old 12-17-2004, 12:12 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

LMAO, Wayne! Now, if this computer just had a function called "Enable Dinner"...
Old 12-17-2004, 12:58 PM   #26
Executive Chef

LOL! How about 'Enable Professional Cooking Abilities!'
Old 12-17-2004, 10:44 PM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

Several of the other posters have hit on the reason.

Butter melts at a lower temperature than shortening, so the butter melts and the cookies spread out flat (or thin) before the dough has a chance to set.

Chill the dough thoroughly before starting and chill the cookie sheets in the freezer. Put the cold dough on the cold sheets and bake. The warm cookie sheets go into the freezer between batches and the dough goes back into the fridge between batches.

You'll end up with thick cookies because the dough sets before the colder butter has a chance to melt and spread out.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:21 AM   #28
Master Chef

Ok. I've got this one. If you look carefully at either the Toll-House cookie recipe, or the Hershey's recipe used for the flat cookies, you will find that there is no true leavening action. Three is no whipped egg, or acidic ingrediant to react with the baking soda. The fat simply melts and distributes the oher ingrediants accross the cookie sheet. Those cookies are supposed to be flat and chewy or crispy, depending on how long you cook them.

To modify the recipe to achieve a more cake-like texture, substitute baking powder for the baking soda. Add just a touch of water and bake as you normally would. The ingrediants in baking powder will give of CO2 and cause the cookies to raise. Also, use lard instead of butter, as it will allow the cookie shape to "set" before melting. Butter just melts too fast, though it gives a wonderful flavor.

The cookies will have the same flavor, but will have a lighter texture.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 10:30 AM   #29
Master Chef

Methinks I should have read the other posts before putting in my own two cents. What I said still holds true, but then so does what the others have said. What I have given you is a way to make your cookies softer, more cake-like, sorta like 'nilla wafers, but with chocolate chips. The others have given you true chocolate chip cookies, but with proper technique and better end results. Try both and decide which recipe you like the most. Some swear by one, while others swear by the other. The only person who can decide is you.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:18 AM   #30
Cook

flat cookies

I always use the recipe on the choc. chip bag but a few years ago a friend told me to substitute crisco for the butter. I did and have never had a failure yet.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Tags
None