Witches Hats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Domestic Goddess

Senior Cook
These are such cute cookies to make for Halloween!

Witch%2BHat%2BCookies%2BSANY0178.JPG

Witches Hats

1 (13 oz.) pkg. fudge striped shortbread cookies
32 Hershey Milk Chocolate Kisses
1 (16 oz.) container vanilla frosting (See *Note)
8 drops red food coloring
8 drops yellow food coloring

Unwrap the Hershey Kisses, and set them aside.

Add the entire container of vanilla frosting into a bowl, and stir it with a spoon.

Add the 8 drops of food coloring to the frosting, and mix it in well with the spoon, then add the 8 drops of yellow food coloring, and mix it in well with the spoon. You will have a pretty orange colored frosting.

Unwrap cookies in package, and taking one cookie at a time, hold the chocolate flat side of the cookie (facing upward) in hand.

Using a small spoon or the tip of a butter knife, apply a small amount of frosting in the middle of the cookie. (The frosting should cover the center hole of the cookie.) A tiny bit of the frosting will poke through the other side of the cookie, but that's ok, you won't really noticed that little bit of frosting peeking through.

Apply the chocolate kiss in the center of the frosting, and push it down lightly onto the flat side of the cookie, just till you see the frosting spreading out just a bit underneath the chocolate kiss.

I placed the cookies onto a large jelly roll pan for several hours, so the frosting will become a bit more dry, and to allow the chocolate kiss to adhere to the frosting. (If desired, you could line the jelly roll pan with wax paper before placing cookies onto pan. It also makes it easier for cleaning up afterwards.)

Store cookies side-by-side in a container, and cover with a lid.

(There's no need to refrigerate the cookies.)

Yields: 32 cookies

*Note: You may have noticed there will be plenty of the orange frosting leftover. You can either double the above recipe (except for the frosting), to make 64 witch hat cookies, or apply the frosting between graham crackers to make another kind of cookie, or use it to frost a one layer cake or some cupcakes.

Cute cute cute! Grown Son is now convinced to put the cookies and kisses on his shopping list. Yeah.

Great idea, Bea, about the peanut butter! This would make a cute treat for the classroom, pre-Halloween sugar overload. The kids could help make them.

Last edited:
Great idea, Bea, about the peanut butter! This would make a cute treat for the classroom, pre-Halloween sugar overload. The kids could help make them.

I wouldn't risk the peanut butter with a bunch of school kids these days, you could knock out a couple of first graders with peanut allergies!!!

I just thought the peanut butter would be easier if you only wanted to make a half dozen to serve a little goblin, ghost or ghoul a quick after school treat. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
Actually almost all of our schools have outlawed peanut butter and/or anything nut based. I think it's wrong but there you go.

One of my grandchildren goes to a school that allows a "fake" peanut butter available in grocers, made without peanuts. It even comes with stickers to put on the lunch boxes so that the moderators can see it is not with peanuts.

Another grandchild goes to a school were even that is not allowed.

Good point, Bea. Only one of my schools had a peanut-free zone. You could probably use the icing that comes in a tube, would just take a dab.

We did make them! We had dark chocolate icing, it was just fine, and delicious. There were brand name cookies for $4.69, and generic same type for $1.19, so he bought the generic. There were at least twice the kisses in the package compared to the cookies, thankfully he bought two packages of the generic cookies. Quite fun. He loves them. He took them in his work lunch. He's 30. He'll be showing them off to his work mates. ha ha.

We did make them! We had dark chocolate icing, it was just fine, and delicious. There were brand name cookies for $4.69, and generic same type for $1.19, so he bought the generic. There were at least twice the kisses in the package compared to the cookies, thankfully he bought two packages of the generic cookies. Quite fun. He loves them. He took them in his work lunch. He's 30. He'll be showing them off to his work mates. ha ha.

Blissful, when I make these cookies, I purchase the cookies at Aldi's. They are just as good as the brand name, and a whole lot cheaper.

So blissful, I guess you could say the cookies were well received by your sons' co-workers?

Blissful, when I make these cookies, I purchase the cookies at Aldi's. They are just as good as the brand name, and a whole lot cheaper.

So blissful, I guess you could say the cookies were well received by your sons' co-workers?

I've been indoctrinating these kids since their littledom to take advantage of generics! He's not home until after midnight, I'll ask him when he gets here.:)

Back
Top Bottom