"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates
Old 12-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
Head Chef
A Bissell Sedrait Nuts

A Bissell Sedrait Nuts (also known as Swedish Nuts)
(This is my copycat recipe for "Meshuga Nuts" which are a trademarked candy. If you use the full teaspoon of cinnamon they will taste just like the real thing.)

3 cups pecans or walnuts (or a mixture or each)
2 egg whites
1 cup sugar
dash salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon (I use 1 teaspoon)

Bake nuts for 10 minute until lightly browned. Be sure to watch them so they do not burn. Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold in cinnamon, sugar and salt. Add nuts and butter. Bake until light brown on a cookie sheet. Stir and separate the nuts while browning. Bake 10-15 minutes in a 375 degree to 400 degree oven.

My notes:
We like them best with pecans. The first time that one toasts the nuts, make sure that they don't burn. Also, the second time goes pretty quickly--I stir and try to keep the nuts separate with a spatula. I usually put them in a tin with a tight fitting lid and keep them in a cool place. For those who have eaten the real thing--you will be surprised at how these come out and how easy they are to make. Also, when cleaning up--just pour boiling water over everything and the sugar will melt easily.
Enjoy! Susan

PieSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
Head Chef
could you use almonds for this - I LOVE the almonds they sell at the German Oktoberfest festivals in the fall - the almonds are cinnamony and sweet.

Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
Head Chef
Toots, I don't see why not. Just be careful not to burn them.
PieSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
Head Chef
I watched a vendor make cinnamon almonds at a fair once, and modified her method. I use a heavy cast iron or aluminum pan on the stovetop, and use just almonds, cinnamon and sugar. I put the almonds in, cover them with cinnamon sugar, and turn the heat on. As the sugar carmelizes, I stir and toss the almonds constantly. I continue adding sugar until the coating is as thick as I want it.

Be careful not to have the heat too high, or the almonds will burn.

Spread the almonds on parchment or a lightly buttered cookie sheet to cool.
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote