Another Failed Fudge Experiment...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flukx

Senior Cook
Hey everyone,

Thought I would share a fudge experiment and, at the same time, potentially get some constructive feedback on how to change the recipe to get it to work. Perhaps this will help someone else out there who doesnt have access to some of the "normal" ingredients.

The initial problem I had living in Germany is that I dont have Marshmallow Fluff. You can buy it during the year usually without problem, but come Christmastime its hard to find (sold out). So - I had to make my own.

The second problem was that there is no (light) corn syrup around. However, you can find various other syrups such as sugarbeet syrup, agave syrup, and maybe a few others. I read that honey could be used, but I wasnt sure about how much and how thick it should be.

I opted to use the sugarbeet syrup, which was quite thick, similar to molasses.

The recipe to make the Marshmallow fluff was:

3 egg whites
half tspn salt
2 cups light corn syrup (I used a half cup sugarbeet syrup and 1.5 cups water)

I beat this for about ten minutes until nice and fluffy.

Added 1.5 cups powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract and beat for another 2 mins or so.

With this fluff, I followed DC's PieSusan's recipe for the fudge:

-------------------------------------
Ingredients:
3/4 cup evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed milk)
1 7 oz jar marshmallow creme (substituted with my homemade fluff)
2 ounces (half stick) sweet butter
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar (I used about 1 cup instead as the "fluff" was already very sweet)
13 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (used half-bitter german chocolate, about 50% cocoa.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Pour the evaporated milk into a heavy 2-1/2 to 3-quart saucepan. Add the marshmallow creme, butter, sugar and salt. Place over low to low-medium heat and stir constantly with a wooden spatula until the mixture comes to a boil. This mixture wants to burn so watch it carefully. You may have to adjust the heat as necessary and occasionally scrape the bottom of the pan with a rubber spatula to be sure it is not burning.
As soon as the mixture comes to a full boil start timing it; let it boil, and continue to stir, for 5 minutes. The mixture will carmelize slightly. If you use a thermometer to test the mixture, the temperature will be 226 to 228 degrees when the boiling time is up.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the morsels, whisking until the fudge is melted smooth. Then, stir in the vanilla, and optional 1-1/2 cups nuts. Quickly pour the fudge into the lined pan, smooth the top, and place the reserved 1/2 cup nuts onto the top of the fudge, spacing them evenly and pressing down on them enough so they will not fall off.
Let stand until cool. Then chill until firm.
----------------------------------------------

After doing all of this, the fudge didnt quite firm up all the way. It firmed up enough to cut into pieces, but still was a bit too soft to handle. What I want to know, of course, is why. I think it could be one of a few things:

1) too much water mixed into the sugarbeet syrup. I had 1.5 cups water and .5 cups syrup. I think maybe .5 cups water and .5 cups syrup might be better. I dont think I would add more syrup because it was already very sweet.

2) too few egg whites - maybe 1 more?

3) didnt cook the fluff/butter/milk/sugar long enough? (not sure this was the problem though as it had a nice caramel color and softly boiled from probably 6-7 minutes. Unfortunately my thermometer failed me so I could read the temp).

Anyhow - any ideas? I am leaning toward number 1 above because it was really the only part where I had to improvise.

I hope to be able to try this again (hopefully with a few of your ideas!) in a few days and if it works I will post the final recipe.

It could have been the homemade fluff wasn't a good enough substitute. I have never tried to make homemade marshmallow fluff.

But I also think I would have used more sugar in the recipe (yes, fudge takes ALOT of sugar), I would have used 3 cups of sugar in your recipe and increased the butter to one and a half sticks (12 oz). I would have let the mixture cook at a full rolling boil, stirring constantly for 5 full minutes (to the soft ball stage which is 236 F).

I've had fudge not set up and it is SO disappointing.

Did it still taste good?

i think the sugar beet syrup and the confect sugar.

I had a failed year of fudge & brittle myself once, found out it was the sugar. Never use a store brand of sugar for making candies, Use good ole Dominions , the store brands use a finer sugar or a beet sugar and it doesn't work. same with the fluff have to use the orginal. After that experience I have never had another problem.

I have never made homemade fluff and substituted it so I cannot answer that question. (I have made marshmallows though.) Sometimes when a fudge doesn't work it is because you didn't bring it up to temperature. It is why I prefer to use a candy thermometer and not just rely upon timing. Also, it is important to stir or the marshmallow fluff mixture can burn--it will turn light tan. I can vouch for the recipe--I have made it many, many times over the years-- as written it works for me.

There are lots of recipes (great ones, too!) that don't require marshmallow fluff. :rolleyes:

And those recipes are even more dependent upon weather conditions and cooking temperature and proper beating and pouring at just the right moment. I use to help out a group of church ladies who built their church with money from their candy circle. Fudge, in particular can be difficult--that is why there a recipes for kneaded fudge for when things don't turn out perfectly.:rolleyes:

Flukx:

Let me suggest a recipe that you'll really enjoy. Hopefully, in Berlin, you can get the equivalent of Velveeta Cheese Spread. This is SO good. From Paula Deen:
Chocolate Cheese Fudge

1/2 lb Velveeta, sliced,
1 Cup Butter,
1 tsp pure Vanilla extrtact,
1 Cup choped Nuts, pecans or walnuts,
2 - 16 oz boxes (2 lbs.) Confectioner's Sugar,
1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder,

Melt the cheese and butter together, stirring till smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and nuts.

In a bowl sift together the sugar and cocoa. Pour the cheese mixture into the sugar and cocoa and stir until completely mixed. It will be very stiff.

Using your hands, remove the candy from the bowl and press it firmly into a 9" sq pan that has been sprayed with a non-stick spray. Pat the top of the candy with a paper towel to remove the excess butter. Refigerate until cold and firm. Cut into squares and serve.

^Please you aren't serious are you dave the baker? Please tell me that you are joking.

When I saw that being made on that Iron Chef Competition, I almost died.

Dear Pie:

Don't knock it until you taste it; and then you won't knock it. Keep an open mind. Try it and you just may be impressed! I don't know about it being on the Iron Chef show; I have more respect for food than that............

Her's a fudge recipe that has never failed me. And it is truly deliscious.

See’s Fudge

Ingredients:
4 cups sugar
12 ounces evaporated milk
18 ounces chocolate chips
24 marshmallows
1/2 pound butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups nuts -- your choice
Turn this recipe into a puzzle! [click]

Directions:
Place all ingredients, except for the milk and sugar, into a large, heat resistant bowl.
Mix sugar and milk in 2 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat for 11 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove the mixture from the heat and pour over the chocolate, and stuff. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add nuts. Spread in buttered 9 x 13 inch pan. Cool and slice into squares. Store in your refrigerator. Serve at room temperature.

Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Her's a fudge recipe that has never failed me. And it is truly deliscious.

See’s Fudge

Ingredients:
4 cups sugar
12 ounces evaporated milk
18 ounces chocolate chips
24 marshmallows
1/2 pound butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups nuts -- Walnuts, pecans, hazlenuts, or cashews
Turn this recipe into a puzzle! [click]

Directions:
Place all ingredients, except for the milk and sugar, into a large, heat resistant bowl.
Mix sugar and milk in 2 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat for 11 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove the mixture from the heat and pour over the chocolate, and stuff. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add nuts. Spread in buttered 9 x 13 inch pan. Cool and slice into squares. Store in your refrigerator. Serve at room temperature.

Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks for the comments. Could be any mixture of things I think. I will give it another go one of these days and post the results and, if it works, post a recipe for "no fluff at hand fudge"

"Stores like Hit, Kaufhof and Hertie have a small section with a very limited selection of American products. You should be able to easily find marshmallow fluff there. Although I understand American products can be expensive in Germany." [I did a google search and found this out]

Hi Flukx,

My hobby is candy making, so maybe I can give you a little critical feedback.

First off, fudge recipes that call for Marshmallow Fluff are shortcut recipes that are trying to do away with the "kneading" involved in making fudge (which is a variation of fondant). If you've never made fudge this way, I strongly suggest trying it to get a feel for candy making and a taste of (what I call) true fudge.

As to what went wrong with your recipe: marshmallow cream (aka fluff) is simply marshmallow not rolled in corn starch and powdered sugar but jarred. You can make your own marshmallow at home (with a little patience) and add a portion of that to the fudge mixture after reaching the magic temperatures of 236 - 238, the softball stage:

You see, the amount of water in the fudge mixture is dependent upon the temperature the fudge reaches. If your fudge was under the temperature of the soft ball stage you'll get soft fudge that won't set, too high, you'll get brittle, grainy fudge. Said again, more water evaporates as the sugar reaches higher temperature. If you really want to make good candy a candy thermometer is necessary. (I live in Japan and bought mine through Sugar Craft online, they're not that expensive but if you need to, or want to, see the "stages" of sugar, go to About.com and see their photo tutorial; they have pictures of what each stage looks like.)

About corn syrup, in Europe corn syrup goes by the name Glucose. Chemically, it's exactly the same thing and you can use it one for one in your home recipes. (My German friend said if you can't find it in a baking store or grocery to try a chemist.) What glucose and corn syrup do is stabilize the hot sugar so it doesn't crystalize which means, depending on your recipe, you might not need it when you get skillful enough with your sugar craft.

If you'd like me to post some recipes for marshmallow, Fantasy Fudge (the original fudge with marshmallow cream), or regular fudge let me know.

Hope this helps,
wm

Sorry I was absent for awhile - I would love to see your recipe for fluff. Like I said in my post, I tried to make fluff on my own with different ingredients, but it didnt work out. It very well could have been because I didnt cook it long enough, but as you rightly mention, its hard to tell without a candy thermometer. Should probably buy one

Back
Top Bottom