Applying chocolate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masada

Assistant Cook
I make chocolate-covered peanut butter balls that my family likes, but I hate making them because of the mess it makes. I get frustrated because I can't figure out how to get a complete chocolate covering without it getting messy. If I set them on a surface and pour chocolate over them, I'll get a flat bottom the chocolate won't cover. If I dunk them in a bowl of chocolate it's near impossible to fish them out without making a mess of them. :glare:

Does anyone know how to get an even coating of the chocolate on sphere-shaped candies?

Do it like the professionsals do. Us a two tine fork and drop the balls in the melted chocolate. Fish them out with the fork and let the excess chocolate drain off over the bowl. Then place them on wax paper to harden. :angel:

Do a google search on chocolate dipping tools or look around the house for some items similar to these. You probably could make one with some pliers and a coat hanger, sort of like the wire gizmo we used to dip Easter eggs in the colored dye when we were kids.
CHOCOFORK.jpg

I used to dip a lot of those when I ate more sweets. I used two wooden skewers (I would cut one long one in half) and stick one into each side of the ball and sort of twirl it, let harden on waxed paper. I also would chill them before dunking.

Thanks for that. I've actually used the dipping equipment before, but I guess the perfectionist in me is annoyed by them a bit. Setting anything down while the chocolate sets will ensure a flat surface at the bottom.

I guess what I was looking for was the trade secrets of what larger companies use to create a coating that looks like this:

instead of this:

I'm assuming some rather expensive machinery was used with many of the store-bought candies, but certainly someone has thought of a DIY version at some point. :idea:

Thanks for that. I've actually used the dipping equipment before, but I guess the perfectionist in me is annoyed by them a bit. Setting anything down while the chocolate sets will ensure a flat surface at the bottom.

I guess what I was looking for was the trade secrets of what larger companies use to create a coating that looks like this:

instead of this:

I'm assuming some rather expensive machinery was used with many of the store-bought candies, but certainly someone has thought of a DIY version at some point. :idea:
What type of chocolate are you using? I believe I used to add a wee bit of paraffin to the chocolate and used one that was specifically a "coating" type...it's been so long, I can't remember what kind it was, just what it looked like (big, round discs).

Personally I prefer the handmade look.

If the chocolate was slightly cooler it might reduce the puddle at the base but, a puddle of chocolate is not a bad thing! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

CWS4322 is on the right track with the wooden skewer. That would allow you to shake and twirl off a little more of the excess to reduce the puddle.

Last edited:
I use just the typical chips from a company like Ghirardelli. As much as consistency matters, the application is more of what I'm after.

I use just the typical chips from a company like Ghirardelli. As much as consistency matters, the application is more of what I'm after.

I suspect the manufactured balls you pictured were made with expensive equipment that may not be appropriate for all applications.

I suspect the manufactured balls you pictured were made with expensive equipment that may not be appropriate for all applications.

Thanks. That's kind of what I meant when I said "I'm assuming some rather expensive machinery was used with many of the store-bought candies, but certainly someone has thought of a DIY version at some point."

This might be a question for more professional artisan candy makers. Thanks anyway! :)

The round examples are malt balls and that's malt ball style. Home mades usually have a flat bottom. When I get a nice big box off See's chocolates, they all have flat bottoms.

I have made peanut butter balls and dipped them using a tooth pic. Then poke the other end of the tooth pic into foam until the chocolate dries. At this time you have nice little round balls with tooth picks in them. If you like it that way stop there. If you want it without the tooth pics ( or the holes ), then melt more chocolate, take out the pics and fill the little holes with chocolate. It is closer to what you want without having to purchase equipment. I have to tell you though, I usually leave the pics in if I am not taking them anywhere.

Janet thank you VERY much. That's the information I was looking for. I managed to inadvertently find it earlier today searching for chocolate...strangely enough.

Chopper, I usually transport my candy to family and friends. I can't imagine leaving the candy at my place. I'd become big as a house.

Chocolate goes quick around here, especially when family or close friends are here. If you are taking it out just be sure to fill the little holes, or pit them upside down. :D!

Back
Top Bottom