Best way to ship homemade candy??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I want to send my son some fudge and other homemade candy, but, not sure about the best way to do this. Is there a good way of doing this and still keep the candy fresh or at least not drying out?

Maybe wrap them individually in plastic wrap and then in foil, then place all into a cookie tin and pack it tightly. I dont know how warm it is where you are, but you may have to pack it a styrofoam cooler.

Put the fudge in a ziplock bag. Press out most of the air, and then stick a straw into the tiny hole you've left open in the zipper. From there, suck out the remaining air. You'll see the bag cling to the contents. Pull the staw out when you can get no more air out, and finish zipping it. This is called sous vide, which means without life or air. Best way to ship the fudge, or even cookies. Hard candy is another matter. Humidity is going to wreck havoc unless you wrap pieces individually. Then cushion the packages with paper towels or newspaper, and head off to the post office.

Amber, it's cold here, thankfully. I don't have to worry about the heat. I don't have any hard candies, so, I'll do them all in the ziploc bag. I never would have thought of that. Thanks!!

Even though it's a bit heavier, you may want to do what the Ethel M candy company does for their shipping: after packaging the candy, the box is wrapped really good in bubble wrap, then there's a 'nordic ice' on top of the package. (it's a freezable cooler thingie, like 'blue ice') It keeps the chocolates cold and fresh.

Little Trick

I would definitely suggest wrapping them in the ziplock bags and sucking the air out...especially with fudge because that can dry out easy...If you are in a cold place and you are shiping through a cold area then you won't have to worry about keeping them cooler then the air temp...anything room temp or below will be fine...
One trick...you can always add something called "invertase" to your fudge...this is an enzyme that breaks down sugar to liquid...what it does for fudge is it keeps it soft for a longer period of time...add this to fudge once it has cooled and right before you mix it together to build the crystal structure of the fudge...just a little hint

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
pack it in marijuana and cuban banded cigars.

they'll never look twice.

wait. nevermind. it was the other way around.
:wacko:

I would wrap the fudge in fairly large squares or blocks using cling film. Then place the blocks into a plastic shoe box or similar inexpensive container from the dollar store. Pack any loose corners in the container with crumpled wax paper, to insure a tight fit. Tape the container shut using clear movers/mailing tape, put it into a padded mailer, similar to those used for mailing books and toss it in the mail. Your son and his buddies can unwrap a block/candy bar as they need it and the others should stay fresh for several days in the refrigerator

If you want me to test this for you I will PM my address to you and we can start with some chocolate fudge or some brownies! I promise to work with you until we perfect the entire process! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I had 3 nephews in the Military and overseas, I used pringle chip cans . I would put a baggie in the can - fill it then twist tie. they loved it as the cans we easy to store as they often didn't have a lot a space to store their items. Especially one of them was in a tank most of the time. The cans also fit nice in their backpacks. Works great for cookies to, they didn't break or get smashed.I would wrap the cans in gift wrap of all different type, so they would be cute to receive. I pack the cans into the Postal military shipping boxes. Bad thing about it I hate Pringles. Thank goodness for grandchildren

Back
Top Bottom