Black Forest Truffles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PieSusan

Washing Up
Now these are truly amazing!!!! I am not sure which gourmet magazine that I found this recipe in or how many years ago but I have altered the directions. Although the yield says 40, I once got 46. These are a lot of work but probably my favorite homemade candy.

Black Forest Truffles (TNT)
Yield: 40 truffles

Ingredients:
9 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
2/3 cup whipping cream
2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons Kirschwasser
1/2 cup finely chopped dried cherries
3-4 Tablespoons Dutch cocoa
1 pound bittersweet or semisweet chocolate for tempering

Directions:
Melt 9 oz. of bittersweet chocolate in top of a double boiler. I have always used Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate but I am sure that you could use any good bittersweet chocolate. Scald the heavy cream over medium heat. Pour the scalded cream into the chocolate and blend until smooth with a whisk. Stir in the clear cherry liqueur (kirschwasser) . Then, stir in the chopped dried cherries. I like to use dried pitted tart Montmorency from Trader Joes. Cool the truffle mixture to room temperature, covered. Then, refrigerate the truffle mixture for 3 hours.
Line a large baking sheet with waxed or parchment paper. Using a pastry bag with 3/4-inch tip, pipe 1-1/2-inch mounds or use a teaspoon and make mounds. Cover with the sheet with plastic wrap and chill in the freezer, until firm, or about 2 hours.
Line another large baking sheet with waxed or parchment paper. Melt and temper remaining pound of bittersweet chocolate. It is easier to temper large amounts of chocolate than small amounts and you probably won't use all the chocolate when you dip the centers. Save it for the next time. Shape each center if needed, dip into tempered chocolate and lightly dust with dutch processed cocoa. If you want, you may center a sliver of another cherry on top of each truffle.
Place each truffle in a candy cup. Serve truffles at room temperature.
Store truffles between wax or parchment paper, airtight, wrapped in foil in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 2 months. I usually give out tins as gifts for the Christmas/Hannukkah/New Year holidays.

When I learned to make candy from a Church Candy Circle, I found that working in chocolate made my hands very soft from all that cocoa butter but it can be tiring to temper chocolate because you have to keep agitating the chocolate.

Never met a truffle I didn't like, nor a cherry!!!
Can't wait to try these, thanks!

Well, although I am not so sure that I have enough gumption, tonight is the night I am suppose to make truffles. We shall see. Maybe I can make the centers tonight and temper the chocolate and dip them tomorrow. I am considering doubling the recipe. I don't know....that is going to take a lot of gumption. lol These really are worth it.

Back
Top Bottom