Can I refrigerate soft caramels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have made some really good caramels, but it is awfully hot here so I can't just leave them out as would ordinarily be the case. The pieces are well wrapped in plastic, so they are holding shape ok, but are just too too soft simply because of the air temperature. Would it hurt my caramels (thinking about affecting the sugars) to refrigerate them? I put a few in overnight, and they turned hard as rocks, but seemed to soften nicely after being taken out. Doesn't seem to change taste or texture, but I'm just guessing at the best way to store. The yield is about 150 pieces, so I need to take care of them.

Follow-up question: If I can keep them refrigerated, what is a reasonable amount of time to hold them for? Also, same question if I can't refrigerate them? (If this is a possible factor, the recipe used 1 pint of heavy cream.)

I think I remember Alton Brown having a show with this, but I cannot find the info on foodtv.com. I'm thinking it was a week, refrigerated, but I could be way off!

Your best bet is to wrap them individually in wax paper and store them in an airtight container in a cool dry place they'll last up to a week this way. You have to remember also that cold is sugars second worst enemy next to moisture. The reason they go soft is because the fructose in granulated sugar sucks up moisture. In candy making its best to use a sugar low in fructose especially hard candies.

Rgds Sugarcreations

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom