"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 10-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Candy Apples or Caramel Apples?

I was thinking of making some to sell. Wondering which ones I should make - I have never made either so was wondering - which is tastier, easier, and hold up better for sale. Lots of humidity and heat where I live. Let me know what you guys think! What do you like better?

Old 10-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Master Chef

Why don't you make a few of both to start with. People like having an option. You could also dip the Caramel apples in chopped nuts, sprinkles etc. to prevent them from going too sticky in the heat.
I made both and chocolate apples for my Daughter to sell at the school fete. The white chocolate covered apples with candy faces sold out.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I Agree with Snip on this. Variety is the spice of life
kades
Old 10-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Neither candy nor caramel will hold up gracefully in humidity but it you make caramel and then dunk the whole thing in chocolate it will hold a bit longer (and taste just amazing)... let me know if you need a taste tester ;)
Old 10-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Head Chef

Last couple of times I went to Rhode Island, I stopped by " Jaswell Farms". A few years ago, i was watching a show on Food Network , that focussed on different places around the USA that made Unique things. Anyway, Jaswell Farms was apparently well known for its Candy Apples. Took me 3 or 4 years to finally get there, but it was worth the trip. Personally, I like the classic red candy apples the best. But, the caramel / Chocolate dipped apples were visually impressive. They had many different varieties to choose from. Most memorable were the Snicker apples and the Oreo Apples. ( basicall apples dipped in caramel, then chocolate , then peanuts, then chocolate again. And the other caramel, chocolate, broken up oreo's , then chocolate again. Both fetched a price about 8 or 9 dollars, i forget. I guess the point im trying to make is, i think the chocolate/ caramel apples are more visually appealing and will probably be more popular and demand a higher price people are willing to pay. Hell, I took a 1 1/2 hour ferry, then another hour drive on top of that just to get a few , so it worked for me :) Also, Your imagination is your limit. can roll them in nuts, candy bars, other kinds of cookies ....

Quick story. Was at a local street fair. Kids were crying they wanted something to eat. I yelled at them that we were going out to dinner afterwards, and i wasnt buying anything at the fair. Suddenly, i see the candy apple table ( my weakness). I let them go ahead so I could make my secret purchase, and gobble one up before anyone noticed. Was a typical red candy apple, my favorite. First bite, I heard a CRUNCH. I knew exactly what had happened. Broke my tooth. Luckily Im a dentist and have professional connections, because 1 peridontal surgery, root canal post and crown later, I was fixed. There is a moral in that story somewhere.

Anyway, here is the website for Jaswell Farms. There are no pictures of their " Gourmet apples" but lists the kinds they have. And if in RI, worth the trip ( in my opinions)

Experience Jaswell's Farm
Old 10-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Our local Humane Society makes amazing caramel apples as a fund raiser. They're heavily caramelled, drizzled in dark, milk, and white chocolate, heavily sprinkled with all sorts of stuff. They're about $12 for one, but we cut them in wedges and they feed a bunch of people. They seem to keep well.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
I was thinking of making some to sell. Wondering which ones I should make - I have never made either so was wondering - which is tastier, easier, and hold up better for sale. Lots of humidity and heat where I live. Let me know what you guys think! What do you like better?
I'm partial to the caramel & chocolate rolled in nuts. These always whet my appetite:

Mrs. Prindable's Gourmet Caramel Apples, Gift Baskets, Confections, & Unique Handmade Gifts

Shop for Caramel Apples for Wedding Favors

I have also seen a variety of chocolate-dipped pretzels covered in sprinkles etc.

chocolate covered pretzels - Google Search

Fretzels | Gourmet Chocolate Covered Pretzels
Old 10-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
Master Chef

I prefer caramel apples to candy ones. Read Larry's post about the broken tooth! I never seemed able to eat the candy and the apple together either. The candy would break all over and uncover the apple. With caramel ones you can get a bite of apple and caramel with one bite. Delicious.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur
I prefer caramel apples to candy ones. Read Larry's post about the broken tooth! I never seemed able to eat the candy and the apple together either. The candy would break all over and uncover the apple. With caramel ones you can get a bite of apple and caramel with one bite. Delicious.
+1. I had the same experience as a kid, except for the broken tooth. Never understood the fuss about the candied apples, the coating just shattered and fell on the floor.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to buy "gourmet" carmel apples at a local Chirstmas craft show...white chocolate, dark chocolate, all kinds of combinations. I would cut and serve the wedges with on the Chirstmas dessert table...loved them.

But, I must admit, I'm surprised not one of the bacon lovers on DC has suggested adding bacon bits (fresh, homemade) as a topping instead of nuts.

Tags
apples, candy