I used a dollar store chocolate mold for my candy. It worked just fine.
I wasn't talking about whether or not it would do the job, but whether or not it would poison your children. I'm sorry, but even reputable, mainstream Chinese goods lately have come under fire for being unsafe. I'd be doubly hesitant about the type of goods that they sell at dollar stores.
Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't hesitate to use a dollar store can opener or rolling pin. But you're talking about using
(1) Something not only from China, something really cheap from China (even by Chinese standards),
(2) For a purpose not intended by the manufacturer (as a candy mold, where it's going to be in contact with hot sugar many times hotter than the chocolate it was designed to be used for)
(3) And then going to eat the product that comes from it and let your children eat that product.
I just think it's a bad idea.