Candy is sharp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marashnay2450

Assistant Cook
I have made candy today and it came out awesome. I cannot believe that it was so easy. The only thing is that when I was breaking it lots of it comes out sharp and pointed. I have children and was wondering if there is a trick to make it not so sharp. I know sounds like a silly question but with kids I can see something happening.
Thanks for the help
Lisa

Maybe nibble around the corners for them!!LOL I will volunteer for this!

For the molds, check your local dollar stores or five and dime. you can use just about any molds that will take the heat of the poured candy.

Thank you so much for the quick replies. I love forums. You guys are great.

Are there any molds that are easier than others to use with hard candy. This is my first time today making candy. It is nice to check with the experts!! :) You may save me a lot of trouble.

If you are talking about hard candy.. take a torch and simply melt the points. A quick flash of the flame will dull the edges.

I don't make candy, but I thought I've seen them coat
the inside edge with vegetable shortening, wiped from a papertowel.
Come on, tell us, what kind of candy?

P.S. and Welcome to DC. Glad you could join us.

It is hard candy...........made with orange extract and yellow and red food coloring. It tasted really good. It was so easy to make.

Are chocolate mold different from hard candy molds???

hard cany molds have to withstand much higher temperatures than chocolate molds. So choc. molds may melt if they are a plastic that can't stand the heat.

It is hard candy...........made with orange extract and yellow and red food coloring. It tasted really good. It was so easy to make.

Are chocolate mold different from hard candy molds???

I am just about to try making hard candy with a chocolate mold. I'll let you know how it turns out.

The mold worked just fine. I filled the mold and put it right into the freezer. It didn't come out very easily. You may want to grease it or something.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help from everyone. I am sure going to enjoy this site. I think I am going to go to the library and get some books out to.

I bought several hard candy molds on Ebay and eBay stores. Type in "hard candy molds". I really, really like the hexagon and rectangle shaped molds. I generally need about 4-5 molds per batch. Spray them liberally with Pam before pouring. The candy looks beautiful.

Have you tried other flavors? I use the "oils" rather than extracts....

I make (and break) a lot of peanut brittle for the holiday, and I can vouch for the sharpness of those edges. After my first blood spattered batch, I began using clean cotton socks on my hands when I break the candy to save my hands from the sharp edges.

I have never had anyone complain about sharp edges as they were eating the candy, however. (And I have eaten enough peanut brittle to be able to safely say that no-one will injure themselves while eating it.)

For the molds, check your local dollar stores or five and dime. you can use just about any molds that will take the heat of the poured candy.

I wouldn't trust a dollar store mold. It's bad enough that everything these days is made in China, I don't think you want to trust the dollar store Chinese goods with your children's health.

If I remember right, the old "stick" type candies were broken on thin piece of metal that was raised slightly above level of the work table. The candy was lined up over the metal, and using your hand on the other end, broke it.

Maybe something similar could be fabricated for breaking peanut brittle?

But, I'd probably cheat. Just give me my meat tenderizer.

LOL!

When you saiud 'sharp' I thought you meant taste wise! Turns out you meant literally!

Anyway, I think the first response was probably the best one, try using molds, even if their not 'real' molds. If mean it is is shapr ONLY when you break it apart, it probably has more to do with 'texture' of the candy than anything else, trying making it a bit softer, perhaps.

I wouldn't trust a dollar store mold. It's bad enough that everything these days is made in China, I don't think you want to trust the dollar store Chinese goods with your children's health.

I used a dollar store chocolate mold for my candy. It worked just fine.

I used a dollar store chocolate mold for my candy. It worked just fine.

I wasn't talking about whether or not it would do the job, but whether or not it would poison your children. I'm sorry, but even reputable, mainstream Chinese goods lately have come under fire for being unsafe. I'd be doubly hesitant about the type of goods that they sell at dollar stores.

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't hesitate to use a dollar store can opener or rolling pin. But you're talking about using

(1) Something not only from China, something really cheap from China (even by Chinese standards),
(2) For a purpose not intended by the manufacturer (as a candy mold, where it's going to be in contact with hot sugar many times hotter than the chocolate it was designed to be used for)
(3) And then going to eat the product that comes from it and let your children eat that product.

I just think it's a bad idea.

And by the way, I have nothing against China. I think in 20 or 30 years they'll probably have worked the kinks out and have some decent QC / QA in place. But for now, I can't help but have the impression that it's the wild west out there (or wild east, I guess).

Granted, their goods are pretty much unavoidable, but at least if you buy it at Sears or even Walmart, you've got a major American company with a vested interest in ensuring that their goods don't end up showcased on Lou Dobbs tonight.

Not so much with the local Dollar store.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom