"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 12-18-2006, 04:04 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Morning Boufa!

There are a couple of key differences between the Greek and the Lebanese/Syrian baklavas, one of which is the syrup (the Greek being honey-based usually, whereas the L/S is white-sugar based -- more delicate, especially with the addition of the orange-blossom water), and another is the use of ghee in the L/S versions and the predominant flavor of butter.

However, aside from those general differences, this particular type is one of the few (the only?) which is first sauteed and then baked. The resulting consistency is harder than a standard baklava, no matter which other specific type you're thinking of -- bird's nests, traditional diamonds, rosettes, etc.

As far as rolling it tightly and then cutting it in pieces being easier ... have you tried it recently?!

Old 12-18-2006, 05:02 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Kalimera Ayrton! The syrup for my kataifi has no honey in it, just plain sugar with lemon juice. The syrup can be thickened to the consistency you want except caramelization of course. I use 'fittini' (if you know what that is) instead of butter. Since shredded phyllo is difficult to cut, the only shape is to make it is bird's nest or roll into a log and cut it. I have not done it log-style but have pile half the phyllo in a pan, put the filling on top, cover with more phyllo and then drizzle with 'fittini' before baking.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:07 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Boufa, what you make certainly sounds more like a traditional baklava, although the lighter syrup is a bit different than that we use in our family.

While I know 'fitini' I doubt I'd use it in this particular recipe (or any recipe -- Scottish shortbread, for instance -- where the flavor of butter is intended to dominate), especially with the very delicate flavoring of the syrup. I'd want in this case to stick with pure butter ghee.

I certainly agree that the bird's nest shape would be easier! If only I hadn't tried these specific ones and found them soooo addicting!
Old 12-18-2006, 07:37 AM   #14
Senior Cook

i quite probably don't have anything to contribute, but i was wondering if you could post a larger pic. your post has an attachment, but nothing sems to open up for me and i can't really tell much what the inside looks like, other than pistachios rolled up in some brown stuff.

this stuff sounds good, so i'm looking forward to seeing if you meet with success.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:51 AM   #15
Sous Chef

burma baklava

This is the best I could find, Philso. And, basically it does come down to "some pistachios rolled up in some brown stuff" but what brown stuff! what pistachios!

Keep tuned. I'll get it licked yet!
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2006, 02:56 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Hum...I have never seen anything like that before...let us know what you get it all figured out and it comes out how you like....very interesting...

Merry Christmas,
Robert
Chocolate
Old 12-19-2006, 06:29 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Robert, Merry Christmas back to you too! This stuff IS "interesting". Might even be called addictive ...

Boufa, you and aren't quite on the same page yet regarding kataifi so I tried to research it a bit. A couple of interesting pages I found are linked below (the photos in the first are great -- I've seen filo being made, but never kataifi!). It appears that kataifi dough is a dropped or extruded item rather than 'shredded' although you're not the first person to refer to it as 'shredded filo'. It's circular in cross-section, however, rather than flat which would suggest shredding.

Meanwhile, back to kataifi meaning a dough and kataifi meaning a prepared, finished sweet. I can't defend my stance on this at all and infact I suspect we're probably both right, but to me kataifi is the dough, and desserts made with it such as that you describe are "X with kataifi" -- baklava with kataifi in this case. However, I don't purchase commercial baklava-like sweets, filo or kataifi, so I don't really know how one would properly call them in a bakery. If you do buy them and refer to them as kataifi and are understood ... I bow to your experience!

The second link below shows a great-looking recipe called "kataifi with cream filling" which would support the idea that kataifi refers only to the dough. However! Below on the same page is a recipe for "mini kataifi" which are none other than a basic baklava filling with kataifi dough!

Go figure. It may be one of the many unexplainables and inconsistencies here. I'll ask around though. If I come up with anything juicy, I'll let you know.

Yogurt Land » Blog Archive » How the kataifi is made

http://joakitchen.blogspot.com/2005/...-kataifi.html/
Old 12-19-2006, 09:34 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Letscook-I thought sugar was sugar. I always buy the store brand and never have any problems with any candy, cookies, etc. It is the first time i have ever heard that a brand of sugar makes a deference in a recipe.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:05 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Ayrton,

Baklavas has many layers of fillo sheets and looks like the first picture

Kataifi on the other hand is made from shredded fillo which looks like bird nests or hair thin spaghetti (angel hair). It looks like the second picture.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2006, 10:12 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Thanks for the photos, Boufa ...

I think we'd best agree to disagree at this point!

Tags
None