Caramel Apples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wink212

Assistant Cook
Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the caramel on the apples? I've been using store bought caramels and a bit after they cool the caramel starts to slide off the apple. Would homemade caramel work better or do I need to work with the consistancy?

The only thing I can think of is to make sure apples are copletely dry before coating them. I make them with store bought caramels & haven't had a problem with it sliding off. Hopefully someone else will have a better answer for you wink!

Welcome to the site, wink! I agree with crewsk that the apples need to be dry. The only other think I can think of that could help is to refrigerate the dipped apples for awhile (say 30-60 minutes) to help them set up.

This same question came up on another board and there was a suggestion to allow the apples to sit at room temperature before coating. I'm going to try to make these again this year...last year...they looked beautiful when first dipped, but, after sitting on the counter to "set up" they developed little bubbles and the carmel started to slide off the apple...sort of not too eye appealing, but, delicious !! Someone suggested that my carmel was too hot and that's why I had tiny bubbles....

Back
Top Bottom