Chinese Toffee Apples
This dessert is served in several restaurants in Hong Kong.
CHINESE TOFFEE APPLES
100gm (4oz) plain flour
1 tbsp cornflour
2 eggs, beaten
150ml (1/4 pint) water
Pinch of salt
Cornflour for coating
Vegetable oil for deep frying
225gm (8oz) sugar
300ml (1/2 pint) water
2 tbsps peanut oil
50gm (2oz) sesame seeds
1. In a bowl, sift flour, cornflour and salt together. Add beaten egg, water and mix until a smooth batter is formed.
2. Peel and core apples and cut into 6 wedges each.
3. Toss the apple wedges in cornflour and then dip them in batter.
4. Heat oil in a saucepan and deep fry the apple wedges for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
5. In a saucepan, dissolve the sugar into the water over low heat, add peanut oil and increase the heat. Boil until golden caramel.
6. Dip apple wedges in the syrup and turn to coat evenly.
7. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and plunge immediately into iced water for the syrup to set and serve immediately.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating!