"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates
Old 12-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Question Chocolate and Merlot?

I'm making red wine truffles as a Christmas gift for some friends, including a French wine snob. My recipe suggests using a Merlot, but I was wondering if any of you would have any other suggestions I could use. I would really like to one-up my snob-friend's expectations with some really good French red wine, but I don't know wines that well. Thanks for all your help in advance!

PocketGargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Wine Guy
I wouldn't use high quality French wine for cooking. The best use of that is for drinking.

If you're bound and determined to use French wine, what I would look for is a value priced Merlot from the Languedoc-Roussillon region of France. There should be a number of options in the under-$12 category. Another good choice would be Côtes du Rhône. It's not Merlot, but is often a good value and works well for cooking.

Just don't spend too much. I can tell you from experience that your guest will never know whether you used a Grand Cru or cheap plonk once it's made its way into the dessert. I don't care how much of a snob they think they are.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
Thank you very much, Steve!
PocketGargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote

chocolate, merlot, other, red wine