Chocolate and Merlot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PocketGargoyle

Assistant Cook
I'm making red wine truffles as a Christmas gift for some friends, including a French wine snob. My recipe suggests using a Merlot, but I was wondering if any of you would have any other suggestions I could use. I would really like to one-up my snob-friend's expectations with some really good French red wine, but I don't know wines that well. Thanks for all your help in advance!

I wouldn't use high quality French wine for cooking. The best use of that is for drinking.

If you're bound and determined to use French wine, what I would look for is a value priced Merlot from the Languedoc-Roussillon region of France. There should be a number of options in the under-$12 category. Another good choice would be Côtes du Rhône. It's not Merlot, but is often a good value and works well for cooking.

Just don't spend too much. I can tell you from experience that your guest will never know whether you used a Grand Cru or cheap plonk once it's made its way into the dessert. I don't care how much of a snob they think they are.

Back
Top Bottom