Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mama

Head Chef
peanut-butter-balls-0.jpg

Here's what you'll need:

4 cups of confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
1 1/2 cups of smooth peanut butter
1 cup (2 sticks) of butter
1 1/3 cups of graham cracker crumbs
2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips (16-ounces)
1 tablespoon of shortening

Here's what you'll need to do:

peanut-butter-balls-1.jpg
In a large mixing bowl, combine the confectioners sugar, peanut butter, butter and graham cracker crumbs.

peanut-butter-balls-2.jpg
Mix until well combined.

peanut-butter-balls-3.jpg
Shape into 1 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet that has been lined with waxed paper. You will need 2 cookie sheets.

peanut-butter-balls-5.jpg
Put the chocolate chips and shortening in the top of a double boiler.
If you don't have a double boiler, you can easily make one by using either a stainless steel or glass bowl and placing it on a pot with about an inch of water in the bottom. Make sure that the bowl does not touch the bottom of the pot.

peanut-butter-balls-6.jpg
Melt chocolate over medium low heat stirring constantly.

peanut-butter-balls-7.jpg
Remove from heat but keep the chocolate over the hot water in the double boiler. Using a toothpick, dip each peanutbutter ball into the melted chocolate, turning to coat evenly.

peanut-butter-balls-8.jpg
Place on the waxed paper lined cookie sheets and remove the toothpick. Place in the refrigerator to cool so that the chocolate hardens. These will need to be stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container. Enjoy!

That's similar to my recipe for Buckeyes but we don't use graham crackers. I'll have to try adding that to my recipe this Christmas. To make them buckeyes don't dip all the way into the chocolate and leave a part of the peanut butter ball showing.

Love the composition of the first photo, Mama!

Perfectly lovely and delicious-looking!

Lee

Thanks everyone! The kids and grandkids all came over and they're nearly gone!

those look really good and tasty. I have to make some next weekend =). Thank you for the recipe

That's similar to my recipe for Buckeyes but we don't use graham crackers. I'll have to try adding that to my recipe this Christmas. To make them buckeyes don't dip all the way into the chocolate and leave a part of the peanut butter ball showing.

That's so cool! :cool: Jabbur, we're from Michigan - not the Buckeye State, but we sure had a lot of 'em :LOL: As I was looking at this recipe, I was thinking, I should make this for DH's birthday - he loves Reese's peanut butter cups. And to have them looking like buckeyes would be great! Thanks!

And thanks to Mama for posting the recipe and the pictures! He's going to love these! :)

You're welcome! They taste a lot like a Reese's peanut butter cup. :)

oh, those look so yummy. jake would devour those. mama, you're an excellent dessert-prepper!!
is a bag of confectioner's sugar enough fer 4 cups...

Thanks Luvs! I don't know what size bag you have but as a general rule 1 cup of confectioners' sugar = 4 1/2 ounces.

OMG, that has got to be good!! Reeses peanut butter cups are my all time fav candy. I would be in SO much trouble!!

This is my buckeye recipe:

Peanut butter balls:

½ cup butter
1lb confectionery sugar
1 ½ cup peanut butter
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla

Mix together all ingredients and form into small balls. Put these balls in the refrigerator for 3 hours or overnight.

Coating:

Melt 1 package (6 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips on top of double boiler (add paraffin wax just enough so it has a good shine and doesn’t show finger prints on finished buckeye). Dip balls in chocolate but leave just a little of the peanut butter part showing..

My mom always made these and chocolate covered cherries.

Hi all.

I have 3 questions!! Firstly, can you describe Graham crackers please? (Sorry, am British and want to find UK equivalent!) Secondly, what is 'shortening'? And lastly, does putting paraffin wax into the chocolate make up for not tempering?! Anything to avoid tempering! :-p

These recipes are so lush, I can't wait to try them!! Thank you! :chef:

Hi Capirossi!
Here is the definition of Graham Crackers. You can either buy the crumbs or make crumbs by crushing the crackers with a rolling pin. You can buy graham crackers here.

Vegetable shortening is a vegetarian alternative to lard. It is a solid fat made from hydrogenated vegetable oils.

And lastly, does putting paraffin wax into the chocolate make up for not tempering?! Anything to avoid tempering! :-p

Yes the paraffin wax is used in place of tempering the chocolate. If you use too much or the chocolate takes on a waxy taste, use too little and the chocolate melts to easily (not that mine survive long enough for that).

peanut-butter-balls-0.jpg

Here's what you'll need:

4 cups of confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
1 1/2 cups of smooth peanut butter
1 cup (2 sticks) of butter
1 1/3 cups of graham cracker crumbs
2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips (16-ounces)
1 tablespoon of shortening
You have just made my heart stop. These remind me in part or ingredients of Dracula's eyeballs that I make during Halloween. They are scary good, sinful some would say, that'd be me. Thank you so much for posting this, these look sooooooooooooooooooooooooo incredible. Also, I'd not known of the graham cracker crumbs either. <--- good tip

Attachments

• dracula eyes.jpg
    dracula eyes.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 162
they are wonderful, a little unnerving to make or I should say get just right, but the taste is remarkable.
they taste very much like these, some of my favorite treats

Attachments

• ts.jpg
    ts.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 148
Thank you Mama I will def be making these this Christmas to give away but I'll be making them into Buckeyes like Jabbur mentioned since I now am an Ohioan!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom