"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 71
i still didn't get it , on how to do the white chocolate stripes across?
__________________

__________________
mommyNY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
Irradiated food is of ZERO danger to anyone. It does NOT leave a radioactive residue. It's a super low level of a kind of radiation that only kills microbes and does nothing to alter the food the microbes are attached. (Yes, there are different "kinds" of radiation - e.g. Alpha, Beta, Gamma)

Think of it as a germ sterilizer that leaves the food product unchanged.

If people were never told that a particular food was irradiated, they would never Know it!
__________________

__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyNY2 View Post
i think each person cares what they buy! people want best options for their families. according to process of irradiation, organic foods go through the process to kill bacteria and to keep food fresh for longer. i don't want to eat food that has been put through radiation, even though (for now) it's considered safe. (before smoking was safe as well but after too many people got sick it's not safe anymore).

it's good to have choices, whoever believes in organic food let it be, i personally don't and it's my choice.

what about meat companies like Perdue, they have packaged chicken that says no hormones added and raised cage free, to me something like that is better option then something that goes through radiation.

in all fairness organic stuff does tastes better,too bad it goes through radiation other wise it may be good choice.
What makes you think organic food is irradiated? It most certainly is not in Canada?
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #14
Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Irradiated food is of ZERO danger to anyone. It does NOT leave a radioactive residue. It's a super low level of a kind of radiation that only kills microbes and does nothing to alter the food the microbes are attached. (Yes, there are different "kinds" of radiation - e.g. Alpha, Beta, Gamma)

Think of it as a germ sterilizer that leaves the food product unchanged.

If people were never told that a particular food was irradiated, they would never Know it!
i hope so! but most businesses are out there to make money in any way they can and government is likely to back up businesses whatever would be profitable.
__________________
mommyNY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #15
Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
What makes you think organic food is irradiated? It most certainly is not in Canada?
about the process of irradiation there are many different articles online on google for example. its a process to keep food lasting longer and getting rid of harmful bacteria such as E.Coli etc.......

i came across organic discussion in some mommy forum, some mommies pro organic and others against, i was just reading about it and they discussed process of irradiation.

i don't think it has to do with Canada versus USA its about keeping food edible and fresh and free of bacteria therefore irradiation process keeps it off........

u know, i have something organic in my fridge,LOL, organic milk for my child my husband and my toddler drink it......
__________________
mommyNY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyNY2 View Post
about the process of irradiation there are many different articles online on google for example. its a process to keep food lasting longer and getting rid of harmful bacteria such as E.Coli etc.......

i came across organic discussion in some mommy forum, some mommies pro organic and others against, i was just reading about it and they discussed process of irradiation.
According to this article: Food Irradiation | RadTown USA | US EPA,

"Irradiated food does not meet the definition of organic."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyNY2 View Post
i don't think it has to do with Canada versus USA its about keeping food edible and fresh and free of bacteria therefore irradiation process keeps it off........
Actually, different countries have differing regulations as to what can be called organic, so it can have to do with whether it's in one country or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyNY2 View Post
u know, i have something organic in my fridge,LOL, organic milk for my child my husband and my toddler drink it......
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:27 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I did some more Googling about irradiation of food and came across this symbol: .

It's called Radura. It means the food, or some of the ingredients have been treated with ioninzing radiation. If an irradiated ingredient is less than 10% of the total ingredients, it isn't required.

It looks a lot like what I would expect a straight graphic for organic might look like.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #18
Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
According to this article: Food Irradiation | RadTown USA | US EPA,

"Irradiated food does not meet the definition of organic."



Actually, different countries have differing regulations as to what can be called organic, so it can have to do with whether it's in one country or another.


Irradiation is a process-i was reading a process that gets rid of E.coli etc. harmful bacteria and possibly prolong for food to stay fresh. In one of parents magazine i read last nite, they suggesting if anything people should go for organic meat....
__________________
mommyNY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyNY2 View Post
Irradiation is a process-i was reading a process that gets rid of E.coli etc. harmful bacteria and possibly prolong for food to stay fresh. In one of parents magazine i read last nite, they suggesting if anything people should go for organic meat....
They are probably suggesting organic meat, because it is a way of knowing for sure that it isn't irradiated.

What is your objection to organic food? Are you talking about certified organic food? I get the feeling we aren't talking about the same thing.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #20
Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
They are probably suggesting organic meat, because it is a way of knowing for sure that it isn't irradiated.

What is your objection to organic food? Are you talking about certified organic food? I get the feeling we aren't talking about the same thing.

as per internet, (google.com) articles suggest that irradiation is the process to get rid of harmful bacteria and prolong shelf life

sure, referring to certified organic food.

why do i object to organic food? i simply don't find it necessary especially it going through any amount of radiation process, but it's simply my choice , i know people buy organic food
__________________

__________________
mommyNY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chocolate

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.