Chocolate truffles help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boog0515

Cook
Hi there! I have a question about truffles and I am not sure the science in how to get it how it is supposed to be.

Every year I make truffles and it is just
1/4 cup heavy cream
6 tbsp butter
8 oz of chocolate.

I had a request this year to make orange chocolate truffles. The recipe I found was
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons heavy cream
4 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons orange liqueur
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
4 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, chopped

This recipe is still very runny and will not form in to balls. Should I add more butter or chocolate to make up for the liquor? I'm just frustrated because it tastes so good but is not what it is supposed to do.

Thanks for all advice :)

Truffles:
1 1/2 cups 60% bittersweet (or semisweet) chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
1 tsp orange zest
1-2 drops orange oil (health food store has this)
pinch of salt
----

Scented sugar for rolling:
1 C granulated sugar and more zest - about 2 T.
----

Make truffle base: Heat cream almost to boil, remove from heat and pour over chocolate. Stir until melted and smooth. Add zest, salt and oil. Chill.

Make the sugar coating: Rub zest and sugar between your hands, kneading the flavor of the zest into sugar. Spread on sheet pan and heat in medium oven to "dry" the sugar. (Zest makes sugar a bit too wet). Cool sugar and crumbled up any lumps. Sugar will take on a pale orange color from zest

Form balls of chocolate and roll in scented sugar.

I will try more chocolate too. I'm making one with Irish cream that never seems to set either. ☺️

Last edited:
I use a combination of chocolate and double cream (with some rum/brandy) i.e. never butter. It's a bit like a ganache.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom