Christmas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While not specifically confections, here are some answers to that question in another thread. There are some wonderful looking recipes, but they are mostly cookies. Not too many mentions of confections.

I am thinking of doing handmade candycanes this year for everyone coming over for our Christmas Eve Party. Has anyone ever made candycanes at home before?

Robert
Chocolate

aguynamedrobert said:
I am thinking of doing handmade candycanes this year for everyone coming over for our Christmas Eve Party. Has anyone ever made candycanes at home before?

Robert
Chocolate

I've never made candy cane candies - I would love the recipe though!

I am making peanut butter bon bons, holly cookies, peppermint bark, peanut brittle, chocolate covered peanut clusters, turtles, and possibly some irish cream and kahlua.

Hey Michelemarie....I love turtles(the store bought variety) Also I love a candy that was made by Pangburns called "Millionaires". I have a homemade recipe for the Millionaires but would love to have your "turtle" recipe...I am guessing they are simlar....

Thanks...

Thanks for the heads up...fun fun fun...I have actually seen candy canes made like that once before in person....isn't it interesting!? I actually was looking for my own candy hook to do candy canes and taffy at home(during holidays) for friends and neighborhood kids...Thanks for the heads up....I am going to check that out some more...

Robert
Chocolate

I have actually been privilaged to work at "Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory's" Head quarters in Durango Colorado under their master confectioner Jim Thomas. I learned a great deal about candymaking and love doing it...I would love to retire and do a candy store with all hand made candies...there's something about making candy that is fun isn't there?

Robert
Chocolate

Uncle Bob said:
Hey Michelemarie....I love turtles(the store bought variety) Also I love a candy that was made by Pangburns called "Millionaires". I have a homemade recipe for the Millionaires but would love to have your "turtle" recipe...I am guessing they are simlar....

Thanks...

I have never had Millionaires but this recipe for turtles taste just like the store bought kind. My sister was kind enough to introduce me to these last year:

Turtles
Round pretzels (hard to find - Rold Gold makes them)
Rolo candies, wrappers removed
Pecan Halves

Lay round pretzels on cookie sheet and top with unwrapped Rolo candy.
Put cookie sheet in oven, maybe 250 degrees, for 2-3 minutes, until slightly melted.
Take cookie sheet out of oven and immediately lay a pecan half on top of Rolo candy, pressing down softly.

I'm getting ready to try these -

Chocolate Pralines

1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1-1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups pecans (halves or chopped)
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Butter the sides of a 2-quart saucepan. Combine the sugar, brown sugar and evaporated milk. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly to dissolve sugars, until the mixture begins to boil. Attach a candy thermometer to the pan and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until the candy reaches 234 degrees (F).

The mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Reaching the soft-ball stage (234 degrees) will take 15-18 minutes.

Remove the pan from heat; add the butter and chopped chocolate. DO NOT STIR! Set the pan on a wire rack to cool, without stirring, until the thermometer registers 150 degrees (F). This will take about half an hour. You can allow it to cool as low as 125 degrees, but you will need to reheat the mixture if it falls below that.

After cooling to 150 degrees, remove the thermometer from the pan and immediately stir in the pecans. Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until the candy is just beginning to thicken, but it still glossy. This should take 2-3 minutes.

Working quickly, drop from a teaspoon onto the waxed paper. Store in a moisture-proof container at room temp.

If the candy becomes too stiff to drop, you can stir in a few drops of boiling water; mix to incorporate, but only do this a few drops (4-5) at a time.

Greetings Michelemarie....

Just saw your turtle recipe.....That sounds good. We will be giving them a try for sure in a week or two...I love Rolos. I use to take them and press a Hershey's Kiss down on top...crushing the Rolo...then popping the whole thing in one big bite!:LOL:

The recipe however is not what I have bought locally. I think the "turtles' I was buying were actually rip-offs of the Pangburn Millionairs that I mentioned...Good but not as good the Millionairs....

Here is the recipe for the "Millionairs" that we make and enjoy....As nothing is new you may know this candy by another name.

1 lb. Kraft carmel..(unwrapped)
3 or 4 Tlbs Milk
2 cups pecan pieces (med chop)
1/4 bar paraffin
12 oz. of your favorite chocolate (seemsweets etc)

Melt Carmel in milk using a double boiler...Add pecans and drop by spoon onto buttered wax paper. Chill overnight!! Melt paraffin and chocolate in a heavy pan over low heat...Dip candy into chocolate and return to paper.. Makes about 3 dozen.

So far, I've made dough for 8 different types of cookies. 6 more and I'll be ready to start baking.

I did make several batches of fudge as well, one year. They were good, but not my greatest efforts. I'm more of a christmas cookie kinda gal.

I'll make strufoli for christmas eve.

What are you making?

Robert...

We have tried a couple of times to make caramel from scratch for the Millionair recipe above...but with limited success...they were just "passable"

Please share you technique!!

My meyer lemon tree is again producing like crazy, so I recently made candied peel from some of them - and it was wonderful!
At Christmas, I'll be making more and then dipping them in dark chocolate.
I think I'll do the same with the navel orange tree too.

I love candied peels....I have never made them though...are they hard to do? I really like them in nougat...could you post the prodecure if you get a chance?

Robert
Chocolate

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom