"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 10-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My mom would make truckloads of PB balls every christmas. Her recipe included rice crispies! They were so darned good. I may have to make some this year.
My Mom used ground up graham cracker in hers.

She always had to hide her various tins of cookies and candy so she would have some left to give away as gifts.

More than once we found a tin of goodies, along about Valentines day or Easter, that she hid and forgot about!

Old 10-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

My Mom used ground up graham cracker in hers.

She always had to hide her various tins of cookies and candy so she would have some left to give away as gifts.

More than once we found a tin of goodies, along about Valentines day or Easter, that she hid and forgot about!
I had a high school teacher that made a peanut butter bar with Graham crackers ground up in the filling. These were often a reward for our small class if we all got an A on a test.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Healthy Chocolate Bark

Healthy Chocolate Bark

Yes, this is good for you! Dark chocolate, dried fruit and nuts? What could be better?

I have also made a version of this for Halloween or a fall party, using leaf-shaped candy sprinkles in addition to the fruit and pine nuts instead of cashews.

8 oz. dark chocolate chips (I used Hershey’s Special Dark)
8 oz. milk chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli)
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup cashew pieces

Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Draw a 10”x14” rectangle on the paper; turn the paper over so the drawing side is down and set aside.

Place a stainless steel bowl over a medium saucepan containing 1 inch of simmering water. Place chocolate chips in the steel bowl and stir till completely melted; this should only take a couple of minutes.

Use a spatula to scrape the melted chocolate onto the parchment paper and spread it out until the rectangle is covered. Sprinkle the fruit and nuts evenly over the chocolate and press lightly to adhere.

Set aside in a cool place for 2 hours (or in the freezer for 10 minutes) to harden. Cut into 1”x2” pieces.

Those of you in cold climates can also put it outside to harden.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chocolate-bark-1200x900.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	18903   Click image for larger version

Name:	bark-ingredients.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	18904  

Old 10-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #14
Master Chef

Used to make basic chocolates when the kids were small and I had reasons to make them. Once we moved it seemed silly to make them for just the two of us. Plus I didn't have ready access to my base chocolate.

Now my version of "Christmas candy" has become my annual gift from our daughter to me: Malley's Nutmallow. She sends me a box with the one made with cashews and I ration it, not opening it until spring and making it last a couple months. Pretty good for just a pound and sharing a small piece here and there with Himself.

If you want to make this (made in a disposable foil pan) this recipe at King Arthur looks like it might be very similar. Walnuts, pecans, cashews, chipped almonds - they're all good.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #15
Master Chef

Haystacks was another easy candy we made at Christmas.

Many great recipes exist, you can change the type of chips, nuts and crispy bits to create endless variations using what you have on hand in the pantry.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/prt/0,1...237194,00.html

My Mother used to make a variation called White Trash!

White Trash Candy Snack Recipe - Food.com - 15688

Tags
candy, christmas, recipe

Christmas candy recipes Im already preparing for my holiday baking and candy making. I'm thinking that I'll do more candy and less cookies this year. I make about 20 cookie/candy boxes for neighbors and friends for the holidays, and I want to put in some new things this year. I especially love fudges and truffles. I've lost my favorite Choc/orange truffle recipe : ( What are your favorite candy recipes? I'm looking for a good homemade marshmallow and homemade gum drop recipe, too. How about we start sharing some of our favorite no fail recipes for candy? 3 stars 1 reviews