Christmas Candy - What Are You Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Laurie this is the recipe I have...
Nut Rocha!!

Description:
candy bar heaven!

Ingredients:
2 cups butter
2 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons light-colored corn syrup
1/3 cup water
1 11 1/2 oz package of milk chocolate pieces (I used a little more)
1 cup finely chopped nuts, almonds, pecans, walnuts,and or cashews (you may toast nuts for a fuller flavor if you want.)

Directions:
Line a 15x10x1 inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over the edges of the pan: Set aside.

In a 3-quart saucepan melt butter.
Stir in sugar, corn syrup and water.
Cook over medium high heat until boiling.
stirring until sugar has desolved.
Avoid splashing the sides of the pan.
Carefully clip candy thermometer to the pan.
Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 290 degrees (soft-crack stage. (about 15 minutes)
Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over entire surface.
Remove from heat.

Pour mixture in to prepared pan and spread evenly.
Cool about 5 minutes or until top is set.
sprinkle on the chocolate chips and lets stand for two minutes. Spread chocolate over candy.
Sprinkle with nuts and press them gently into chocolate. Cool several hours or until set.

Use foil to lift candy out of pan. Break in to small pieces. Store in tightly covered container... I keep mine in the refrig. so chocolate doesn't melt.

I am giving this recipe a run tonight dee. Wish me luck!:chef:

EPIC FAIL.... Well the roco has all the delicious flavor of roca without the texture. I basically made roca taffy. Do I have any luck in fixing this problem? My guess is I didn't cook it long enough? Could I put it in the over covered for a while?? I know nothing about candy, but I know I messed this one up pretty good...

help??

:(

EPIC FAIL.... Well the roco has all the delicious flavor of roca without the texture. I basically made roca taffy. Do I have any luck in fixing this problem? My guess is I didn't cook it long enough? Could I put it in the over covered for a while?? I know nothing about candy, but I know I messed this one up pretty good...

help??

I have never failed with the following recipe but you need a good thermometer. Sometimes I wonder if people are measuring the heat of the bottom of the pot or the candy. Also, is the thermometer good? If so, are you reading it at eye level? Being degrees off can make a difference in candy as you saw for yourself.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f44/mahogany-buttercrunch-toffee-tnt-52592.html

Hi Dee, SnackPack and others,
I finally found my TNT Almond Roca Recipe. I will be making this as soon as I get off the computer. I have never had it fail yet.

1/2 lb. butter
1 c. sugar
1 tbsp. Karo (corn) syrup
1/4 c. water
1 tsp. vanilla
Slivered almonds
Chocolate chips

Toast almonds in 350 oven until golden and spread on buttered cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Mix butter, sugar, syrup and water in a heavy bottomed pan. Boil to 280 degrees. Pour over slivered almonds on buttered pan. Then put chocolate chips on top of the Roca. Let sit for a moment then smooth out chips when melted. You can put almonds on top or chips or leave plain. I leave it plain.

This is a very simple recipe as long as you make sure
1. you use real butter, not margarine.
2. You make sure the candy is boiled to 280 degrees
3. You add the chocolate chips immediately after the candy is spread out.

Hope this helps everybody. Sorry it took me so long. Remember, most of my TNT recipes are in storage and I had to get this from my best friend who I gave it to a few years ago.

half pound of butter or half cup??? how much is a half pound?

and how much chocolate chips do you use??

Sounds very simple!! :) love it!

help??

Snack Pack, I am afraid there isn't much you can do at that point to save it. You can try refrigerating it but I don't think it will help. I think your problems were either the temperature or did you use margarine?

I think we settled on making these tomorrow:
Chocolate chip cookies
sugar cookies
Eggnog cookies
and (hopefully) peanut butter fudge
Then on Christmas day we will have that to eat while the kids open their presents, then we will make the Christmas day meal and Eggnog bread to go with it as well as eggnog cheesecake for dessert.
Oh, and the Cherry coke made with black cherry rum as well as eggnog for drinking all day, LOL.

half pound of butter or half cup??? how much is a half pound?

and how much chocolate chips do you use??

Sounds very simple!! :) love it!

Sorry, I forgot that I inherited my mother's way of writing recipes....without all the measurements LOL!

Half a pound of butter is 1 cup. I just sprinkle chips over top but if you want rough measurements I would say 1 cup of almonds and 1 cup of chips.

I also forgot to say to put the vanilla in when you take it off the heat just before you pour it into the pan.

Here is the rewrite!

ALMOND ROCA

1/2 lb. butter (1 cup)
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp. Karo (corn) syrup
1/4 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup slivered almonds (more if you like lots)
1 cup Chocolate chips (more if needed to cover)

Toast almonds in 350 oven until golden and spread on buttered cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Mix butter, sugar, syrup and water in a heavy bottomed pan. Boil to 280 degrees. Take off heat and add vanilla. Pour over slivered almonds on buttered pan. Then put chocolate chips on top of the Roca. Let sit for a moment then smooth out chips when melted. You can put almonds on top or chips or leave plain. I leave it plain.

This is a very simple recipe as long as you make sure
1. you use real butter, not margarine.
2. You make sure the candy is boiled to 280 degrees
3. You add the chocolate chips immediately after the candy is spread out.

Hope that is clearer.

Thank you!!! I'll be making it tomorrow!! Yum Yum Yum.....if it comes out extra good I may make it MY Christmas gift to me!!! LOL

We made numerous batches of
peanut brittle
pecan toffee
peppermint meltaways (white and chocolate)
white chocolate walnut fudge
peanut butter bon bons

and a gazillion types of cookies

Today I'm making oatmeal carmelitas, butter cookies and maybe PB fudge. I'm also making chocolate mocha pudding cups for dessert tonight. The diet is most certainly going to start on December 26th. I've probably gained 5 lbs this month!

help??

Do what Julia Child or Sara Moulton would do. Call it almond roca taffy and cut it into small pieces and wrap individual pieces in waxed paper. No one will know it is a goof and I bet people will really like it. You used really good ingredients. I wouldn't waste it if it tastes good.

I agree not to waste it and hope it didn't sound like that is what I was saying. I just meant you can't reboil it and have it turn out. Some of my worst failures have become my best successes just by re-naming or presenting them differently!

Laurie Laurie laurie!!! I just made the Almond Roca and it came out Perfectly!!! It tastes perfect! That recipe is going in a safe!!! Thank you:) I'll take pics later and post them!

My daughter has a chocolate mouth right now! ;)

Glad it worked out for you Dee! I am going to have to make a new batch before I hand out my gifts (which has been delayed by the snow) because it seems to have "shrunk" since last night LOL!!!!

Back
Top Bottom