Christmas Candy - What Are You Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heres the Almond Roca I made from Laurie's recipe, and also some Ceyenne, balsamic, candied walnuts I made.

Attachments

• 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 245
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 205
sure but its kind of an odd recipe because I combined two or three different recipes....and I actually cand coat them twice! But it works out great IMO!

Should I PM it or post it here?...never mind I'll just post it.

Candied Walnuts Recipe

-

16 ounces walnuts (or your choice of nut)
-

1 egg white, large
-

1/2 cup brown sugar, packed -

1 st Step
Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly oil bottom of baking sheet.
In a medium bowl, hand beat egg whites until foamy.
Add walnuts and brown sugar, stir until combined.
Arrange coated walnuts on oiled baking sheet in a single layer and keep separated from each other.
Bake until golden brown.
Remove from pan and cool.

Meanwhile Step 2...

1/2 cup cold water

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
ceyenne pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan except walnuts. Simmer for 4 minutes or until mixture spins small thread from spoon. Remove from heat and stir in walnuts. Continue stirring until syrup forms a sugar coating over the walnuts. Gently separate nuts on cookie sheet while cooling.

This is how our stuff turned out, as you can see I was almost too late to get a picture of the eggnog cookies! They went soo fast!!! A new hit here:

Attachments

• DSCF3039.jpg
    DSCF3039.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 217
Do what Julia Child or Sara Moulton would do. Call it almond roca taffy and cut it into small pieces and wrap individual pieces in waxed paper. No one will know it is a goof and I bet people will really like it. You used really good ingredients. I wouldn't waste it if it tastes good.

We did exactly this! It was a delicious taffy! The problem was that I don't have a candy thermometer. I just cooked it for about 15 minutes which was obviously not long enough. I know now that I need one so I'll be heading out to get one before I take another stab at it.

The flavor was great though! Yay almond roca taffy!

Back
Top Bottom