Christmas Candy - What Are You Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toots

Head Chef
Tonight I made oreo truffles and peppermint truffles (using Trade Joe's Jo Jos for the peppermint filling). What special candy are you making for the holidays?008.jpg

006.jpg

And hubby waited for those? WOW!!! Paul would have eaten the both batches by now!

They do look gooood!

I usually make Buckeyes but my sister is making them this year. I may try the oreo truffles with the vanilla bark. I'm not a big candy maker. My sis does a good job with the sweets so I let her do them! I'll be making a batch of snickerdoodles and a batch of crackerjack along with a cheese ball and a veggie dip. We have lots of snack food for Christmas and no big meals!

peppermint patties
almond roca
truffles (sorry Uncle Bob, I mean TWUFFLES) - 3 kinds
peanut clusters
trail mix bark

Man Laurie.......that sounds sooo yummy!
Is the recipe for the trailmix bark on here somwhere?? I've seen the others (can't wait to try the almond roca!!)

Thanks
Dee :)

Man Laurie.......that sounds sooo yummy!
Is the recipe for the trailmix bark on here somwhere?? I've seen the others (can't wait to try the almond roca!!)

Thanks
Dee :)

The trail mix bark is just kind of my own thing. I started it a few years ago and everyone loves it. I just take mixed nuts, chopped dried apricots, craisins, raisins, and broken banana chips. I mix it together, lay it out on a parchment lined cookie sheet and pour over it melted dark and white chocolate in kind of stripes and then just swirl it together so it is all covered (but don't "mix" the chocolates together too much. Let it cool and break it up!

Do you have an almond roca recipe or is there one here? If not I will be happy to post mine.

EDIT: I just realize you said "I have seen the others" which means there IS a recipe for Almond Roca."

I'm not making any candy but my sister is. She's making Buckeyes and 2 types of fudge. Chocolate and peanut butter.

The one I have is from here...I don't remember whose recipe it is, and I havent tried it yet....I just looked at it a couple of mins ago and it looks like i wont be able to make it for Christmas because it calls for alot of butter and I am NOT going to the store again! lol

Is that your recipe that was posted on here??
Does it taste close to the origional?? It has always been a weakness of mine! :)

Laurie this is the recipe I have...
Nut Rocha!!

Description:
candy bar heaven!

Ingredients:
2 cups butter
2 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons light-colored corn syrup
1/3 cup water
1 11 1/2 oz package of milk chocolate pieces (I used a little more)
1 cup finely chopped nuts, almonds, pecans, walnuts,and or cashews (you may toast nuts for a fuller flavor if you want.)

Directions:
Line a 15x10x1 inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over the edges of the pan: Set aside.

In a 3-quart saucepan melt butter.
Stir in sugar, corn syrup and water.
Cook over medium high heat until boiling.
stirring until sugar has desolved.
Avoid splashing the sides of the pan.
Carefully clip candy thermometer to the pan.
Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 290 degrees (soft-crack stage. (about 15 minutes)
Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over entire surface.
Remove from heat.

Pour mixture in to prepared pan and spread evenly.
Cool about 5 minutes or until top is set.
sprinkle on the chocolate chips and lets stand for two minutes. Spread chocolate over candy.
Sprinkle with nuts and press them gently into chocolate. Cool several hours or until set.

Use foil to lift candy out of pan. Break in to small pieces. Store in tightly covered container... I keep mine in the refrig. so chocolate doesn't melt.

What's a Buckeye? I've never heard of them.

:heart:
Z

hi Zereh! A buckeye it a chocolate and peanutbutter ball type candy....and is called so because it resembles the buckeye nut that Ohio is known for. I have a couple of recipes if you are interested, and there are also a couple recipes in the candy threads. :):)

Dee, that recipe is close to mine, but mine is a little less complicated and I think it only takes a cup of butter. I can't find it at the moment but will post it tomorrow if that is okay.

already have done -Chocolate Walnut Fudge, Peanut Butter Fudge, Peanut Brittle, going to do: white choco bark w/peppermint candy , or white chocobark w / dried cranberries and almonds.

I ususally make toffee and hazelnut coffee caramels.... and whatever else I decide I want to try..
But this year my mojo is gone and I really dont wanna.
Maybe next year.

Back
Top Bottom