Cream of Tartar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emporium

Assistant Cook
Hi all

I am new to making confectionery and I have several recipes that call for a pinch of cream of tarter. Can anyone tell me what this does in a recipe? A pinch seems a very small amount - what is it there for? Just a point of interest :-p

Hi. From this page - http://www.baking911.com/pantry/other.htm

<quote>
Cream of tartar performs many functions. It used to give a creamier texture to sugary things like candy and frosting and to stabilize and increase the volume of beaten egg whites.
citbul1a.gif
Is used to stabilize[SIZE=-1] and can be used to increase the volume when whipping egg whites. [/SIZE]There is no exact substitute, but you can add a pinch of salt instead. Salt has a less stabilizing effect.
citbul1a.gif
Performs yet another function in candy-making. Its acidity affects sugar as it cooks, preventing unwanted crystallization creating a creamier texture.
citbul1a.gif
[SIZE=-1] Mixed with baking soda, it becomes double-acting baking powder, a leavening agent.[/SIZE] 1 teaspoon baking powder = Blend 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
citbul1a.gif
A teaspoon of baking powder will substitute for 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda plus 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar.
citbul1a.gif
It is also used to reduce discoloration in boiled vegetables such as artichokes-just add half a teaspoon to the water.
<end quote>

Hope this is helpful.

Back
Top Bottom