December 28 - National Chocolate Candy Day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
Got somewhere to go now, but later I'll make some fudge...not that I need an excuse, but I haven't made any in a LONG time. Another thing that I used to make a lot more to put into gift boxes.

So, did anyone else use this as an excuse to make some chocolate candy? Not that I need an excuse.

This fudge recipe is one that is foolproof, except for making a slight mess, with the confectioner's sugar! I found the recipe first on a package of Philadelphia Cream Cheese, back in the 70s. I increased the recipe by 1/3, to use up an 8 oz package (amounts on right side).

Cream Cheese Fudge

6 oz softened full fat cream cheese (8 oz)
4 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted (5.35 oz)
1 lb confectioner's sugar, sifted (21.35 oz)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (3/4 tsp)
2 large pinches pickling or bread salt (very fine)(3 pinches
3 1/2 oz walnuts, or other nuts, chopped coarsely (4.65 oz), optional

Line an 8x8 pan (9x9 pan, for larger amounts) with foil.

Beat the cream cheese briefly, then begin adding the 10x sugar, with the mixer turned off, two or three spoon fulls at a time, turning the mixer back on slowly, to work the sugar into the cream cheese each time. Add the salt and vanilla early on. Beat it a couple of minutes, after it is all incorporated, then stop it, and add the melted chocolate, slowly beating it in, and scrape the sides down a couple of times, to get the white layer off the bowl. Add the nuts, and beat briefly to mix. Scrape it into the prepared pan, scraping it off of the beater (you don't have to worry about raw eggs with this, so don't waste any!).

What I do now is press it into the pan, using a piece of plastic wrap - easier than pressing it in with a spatula. The fudge is sort of non-stick, so the wrap pulls right off, or it can be left on, for chilling.

It can be served chilled or room temp, but I always chill it.

Here are the ingredients, minus the cream cheese:
2018-12-28_08-05-19 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

All of the 10x sugar beaten into the cheese:
IMG_20181228_190031812 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Melted chocolate added:
IMG_20181228_190329559 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished processing:
IMG_20181228_191026385 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished Phudge:
2018-12-28_08-07-21 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back