Delicious looking yet unkown candy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CravingSugar

Assistant Cook
I'm trying to figure out what candy this is perhaps someone here might know. A friend of mine forwarded my this lovely photo of what I presume to some sort of middle eastern confectionery. I've had it as my screen saver now for several months but for the life of me I can't find any pictures on the internet that look anything like it. She said she thinks the photographer was Russian and lived in Eastern part of Russia somewhere North of Kazakhstan. Does that narrow it down for anybody? Looks tasty doesn't it!

Attachments

• unkown_candy.jpg
    unkown_candy.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 267
is it really Lokum?

Thanks for the response. A number of other people have also suggested Turkish Delight/Lokum. However, whenever I search around for images of Lokum I never see any pictures remotely like this. I see mostly cubes, rolls, or "logs." Brred have you, or anyone else for that matter, actually seen Lokum prepared this way?

I have no idea what that is...my first thought was, wow, that's really pretty. My second thought was, "marzipan--it's gotta be, oh--super sweet." I don't like marzipan. But then, I don't like super sweet either. I have pretty much eliminated sugar from my diet. Whatever it is, it is very pretty.

Guiltily when I first saw it I thought it looked like Lush soap. But the idea that it could be jelly sweets or Turkish delight is too wonderful for words! It looks amazing and I bet it'd be super tasty!! Turkish delight is yum :P

This may be someone's "spin" on lokum but it is not what is generally classified as such. To me, it looks like layers (clear) lokum have been added to layers of gelatin with some form of cream in it.

I make a very popular jelly dessert made with varying layers of thicker jelly with half being plain and the other half mixed with sour cream. The layers are thinner and I make it in a bundt pan, but it is very similar to this. I can't give you the recipe, but I will see if I can find the link to the one that inspired me.

Well I managed to track down the photographer from an uncropped version of the image and I found his e-mail. He is a Russian photographer named Andrey Els and he took this picture in Acre, Israel. He believes that it is a local type of Rahat Lokum (Turkish Delight) made by the Arabs there. Now to just figure out what each different type of layer is. Perhaps fruit flavors for the clear colored layers and nougat for the whitish ones?

This may be someone's "spin" on lokum but it is not what is generally classified as such. To me, it looks like layers (clear) lokum have been added to layers of gelatin with some form of cream in it.

I make a very popular jelly dessert made with varying layers of thicker jelly with half being plain and the other half mixed with sour cream. The layers are thinner and I make it in a bundt pan, but it is very similar to this. I can't give you the recipe, but I will see if I can find the link to the one that inspired me.

That sounds great! I hope you find the link!

Back
Top Bottom